It's time for the DG county fair! Enter your best pictures and recipes for a chance to win a blue ribbon and subscription!

South African Foxglove, Wild Foxglove
Ceratotheca triloba

Family: Pedaliaceae
Genus: Ceratotheca (ser-uh-toh-THEK-uh) (Info)
Species: triloba (try-LO-buh) (Info)

Violet/Lavender

Floresville, Texas

Leesburg, Virginia

Spencer, West Virginia

On Feb 4, 2015, treesmoocher from Spencer, WV wrote:

Had no trouble starting it from seed; ended up with four plants in my sunny bed, in two pairs. One of each pair got five feet tall, the other half that size. One was white, the others the usual purple. They made plenty of blooms like the pictures, and it seeded prolifically. The only negative is that the biggest one leaned over, even after I tried to lasso it to the fence. This is not a dainty little plant, but if you put it in the right spot it will make lots of those amazing flowers.

On Oct 16, 2014, tiiuk from Baldwin, MD wrote:

I have 13 plants from seed. 2 plants have white flowers and I noticed that the white-flowered form has white or pale yellow stems and the purple-flowered one has dark purple stems. Very large bumble bees are attracted to this plant but I have not seen them actually enter the flower. They spend a lot of time poking at the top of the bloom where it attaches to the stem. Formation of seedpods is not prolific and I wonder if it is because of the unusual approach of the bees.

On Jun 19, 2012, faithgardener from Enid, OK wrote:

We have grown this great plant in Enid, OK the past three years. Last year during over 100 days of over 100 degree heat it not only survived, but thrived. It is a great re-seeding annual for us. I love watching the bumble bees wiggling into the blossoms for a treat! With our winds we do stake it because the plants get so large.

On Mar 31, 2010, pgt from Chalfont, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I just wanted to add that I wintersowed Ceratotheca triloba seeds this winter, and they sprouted in early March, and are doing well. It's still only the end of March, so I don't know how the plants will do, but I'll update when I find out.

On Jun 17, 2009, mjsponies from DeLand/Deleon Springs, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I wanted this soooooo badly, seeds came up fine, out of 10 seedlings only one is healthy and blooming. Several seedlings keeled over and died early on, two got buds and wilted over and 1 of them has died. One is blooming happily away.
No clue as to why...gave it morning sun, afternoon shade...all treated the same.
I might try them again to see if I can grow as a "fall" annual.

On Nov 7, 2007, BlueGlancer from South/Central, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Received this plant in with another plant, during a trade. I planted it under a magnolia tree, and didn't know what it was. It gets morning sun, and probably watered once a week.
When it bloomed I was pleasantly surprised. I love it. : )

On Mar 11, 2007, Mands from Slingerlands, NY wrote:

It grew wonderfully for me, becoming a five-foot, sprawling plant with lovely flowers that the bees couldn't get enough of.

The only thing I didn't like was the foliage has an odd odor, which I found as offensive as cilantro's.

On Jan 6, 2007, bluespiral from (Zone 7a) wrote:

A little more detail on propagating this plant from seed.

Sow seed in a baggy at 70*F. Around 40% - 87% of the seed should germinate between 7 - 16 days.

In the baggy method, a relatively sturdy paper like coffee filter paper is moistened and then wrung until barely damp. Place the seed in the center of the barely damp filter and pull 1/3 up over the seed, then the top 1/3 down over the seed and then fold the ends over the center. Place that arrangement along with a water-proof label inside a baggy and transplant as soon as they germinate. Some gardeners hang the baggies vertically in light, unless it is known that the seed requires darkness to germinate.

On May 30, 2005, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant has large, soft and furry flowers with striped insides. The leaves are equally large, soft and furry.

It's a delightful, easy plant.

On Aug 30, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Easy to grow from seed; mine stayed a nice 24-30" tall and have bloomed steadily since early summer.

On Aug 11, 2001, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Native to South Africa and grows 4-6 feet tall with soft hairy leaves. Tubular lavender or white flowers are born on tall spikes similar to a foxgloves.