We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

PlantFiles: Canterbury Bells
Campanula medium 'Champion Blue'

Family: Campanulaceae (kam-pan-yew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campanula (kam-PAN-yoo-luh) (Info)
Species: medium (MEED-ee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Champion Blue

By Kell
Thumbnail #3 of Campanula medium by Kell

No positives

Neutral bariolio On May 21, 2013, bariolio from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This was my second try growing Canterbury Bells in Houston. I've tried it in sun and a shady spot under my pergola. This last one was beautiful one day and fried the next! I think a fungus got it both times, now that I think of it. Might try again because it's a beautiful plant loaded with gorgeous blue flowers. The plant has a central stalk and many side shoots from which flowers develop. Keeping it deadheaded helps keep flower production going. I helped support the stems with small stakes and clips. I wish someone with experience would chime in here. I'd love one to last more than 2 weeks :)

Neutral GrannieFrannie On May 24, 2011, GrannieFrannie from Harrisonville, MO wrote:

I just purchased this plant today. I just could not walk away from this overwhelmingly beautiful blue blossom. I'm trying to decide where to plant it & I'm finding contradictory information on the web. The plant tag says perennial, but some sites say biennial & others say annual because it produces seeds (don't all plants produce seed?). The plant came tied to a stake, so I thought it was a vining plant, but web says mounding & recommends pinching back. Should I keep it tied up? It is very top heavy with blooms & stem is very weak. Should I pinch it back? Does any one out there have practical experience growing this plant? I don't want to kill it & I want it to come back next year.

Sacramento, California