PlantFiles: Chinese Elm, Lacebark Elm, Drake Elm
Ulmus parvifolia 'Drake'

Family: Ulmaceae (ulm-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ulmus (ULM-us) (Info)
Species: parvifolia (par-vee-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Drake

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)
Pale Green
Green

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By sunkissed
Thumbnail #1 of Ulmus parvifolia by sunkissed

Neutral Hillystre On Apr 9, 2013, Hillystre from Ocala, FL wrote:

I have two growing in my front yard. One male and one female both are about 20 years old and around 20ft high. Beautiful with drooping branches that sway in the lightest of breeze. I receive many comments on how nice they looked.

Positive Nefitara On May 3, 2012, Nefitara from Port Richey, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

One of my favorite trees ever. It's color is a perfect shade of green and the way the branches sort of weep over is beautiful! Give area great shade and the bark is awesome! Does shed all leaves in winter and will become bare.

Neutral sunkissed On Jan 22, 2011, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

We originally planted this tree when it was a small sapling out in our front yard where it received direct sun all day. For two years it didn't grow a bit, so we dug it up and replaced it with a live oak. We put this tree in the back yard where it received sun and part shade and was able to water it more often. The darn thing took off after that. It seems to be compact tree and has a beautiful bark that molts exposing new red under the gray old bark. It drops helicopter seedlings in spring that make a mess. Sometimes it will have a bit of fall color is conditions are just right before losing all the leaves, but usually it just drops them within a couple weeks. I give this tree a neutral because it will send shooters from the roots up in other places. I really wouldn't recommend this tree for the landscape. I wanted my husband to chop it down at one time, but he refused because it gives nice shade where it is.

Neutral uglysteve On Oct 25, 2009, uglysteve from Apache Junction, AZ wrote: