PlantFiles: Dwarf Chinese Delphinium
Delphinium grandiflorum 'Blue Butterfly'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Delphinium (del-FIN-ee-um) (Info)
Species: grandiflorum (gran-dih-FLOR-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Butterfly

Medium Blue

This plant is resistant to deer

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Thumbnail #6 of Delphinium grandiflorum by canadiana

By amorecuore
Thumbnail #7 of Delphinium grandiflorum by amorecuore

Positive Foofsmom On Jul 10, 2014, Foofsmom from Kendall, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have had this plant for a few years now and here in my sandy/clay/rocky soil .PROSPERED like crazy. I got rid of bunch of it when I started getting the garden back into shape. I still have way to much of it. It seems to love where it is *zone 8A* and reseeds itself WAY TO WELL. This is my first year of trying to get seeds as I usually just let everything do what it wants.

Positive Susini On Aug 11, 2010, Susini from Lake Park, MN wrote:

Grows beautifully in my climate, rich soil, full sun. Profuse blooms. Bloom time is fairly short, maybe two weeks at the most if all plantings are included. The blue color is amazing, translucent in sunlight.

Neutral Marlina On Aug 7, 2009, Marlina from Blaine, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

I plant two of these every year in the front of my garden . Intense color but have never had them come back.like they say. So I treat them as a annual.

Positive straea On Jun 8, 2008, straea from Somerville, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I'm used to thinking of delphiniums as needing coddling in my climate - moist and rich soil, shade from the hot afternoon sun, etc. - and still often dying. This one is different. In my climate, it likes heat, it likes full sun, and so far, it's been more drought tolerant than some plants that are supposed to be! If you live in a temperate climate with rainfall averaging about the same all year round like I do, consider treating this delphinium the same way. This is the first delphinium I've been able to grow in my climate with absolutely no special effort on my part at all. I love delphiniums and I'm so pleased I finally found a low-care one.

Neutral grannyhat On Oct 3, 2007, grannyhat from St. John's NL

I grew this plant in St. John's, Newfoundland - poor soil, mostly acid, windy and salty. The seed packet called it 'Blue Pygmy' (sorry, I can't remember the seedsman's name). It acted like a biennial, producing a neat rosette of leaves the first year, and flowered madly the following August, in the brightest blue imaginable. In mid-September all three plants died, producing copious amounts of seed. I will grow it again, but be careful where I place it, as the colour was rather a killer to other blues - white neighbours would look better.

Neutral greenie67 On Jun 9, 2006, greenie67 from Longview, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I live in East Texas and am also having some problems keeping them alive. They flourished at first but now they are yellowing and not flowering at all. They get full sun and plenty of water but not too much. I haven't checked the ph of the soil though. That may be the problem.

Neutral rweiler On Jun 20, 2005, rweiler from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I planted 2 a couple months ago here in Albuquerque. Fertile soil, plenty of water, full sun. I sheared them back to 3 inches last week because both were dying. One is bouncing back, one is near death. I won't give up though, they are beautiful at the front of the border.

Positive nevadagdn On May 6, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

My plant is happy in dryish shade, in clay loam covered with river rock.

Positive lmelling On Jan 18, 2005, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

From the belladonna group. Blue Butterfly is stocky, although the flowers make it seem light and airy. Flowers are a bright medium blue. Can be air-dried for light touches in flower arrangements.

Grow in fertile, well-drained soil in full sun, but with shelter from strong winds. If plants do not grow well, or look leggy and stressed, try "sweetening" the soil with a little lime.

Caution: all parts may cause severe discomfort if ingested, and contact with foliage may irritate skin.

Positive LilyLover_UT On Jan 17, 2005, LilyLover_UT from Ogden, UT (Zone 5b) wrote:

This short-lived perennial can be grown as an annual if started early indoors. It blooms in an incredible shade of deep, true blue. The small plants will fit into any garden.

Oildale, California