PlantFiles: Edamame, Edible Soy Bean
Glycine max 'Beer Friend'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Glycine (gly-SEE-nee) (Info)
Species: max (maks) (Info)
Cultivar: Beer Friend

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Vegetables

Not Applicable

Positive mrstedger On Mar 6, 2010, mrstedger from Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Purchased Beer Friend from Fedco seeds in 2009. I only wish I had the foresight to have saved some seeds rather than eating all the edamame up!

Most fuzzy pods had three beans, occasionally two, rarely one. They would grow on 2 feet high plants that usually had a dozen or so pods per stalk. If the plant was laden with pods clustered near the lower half it would lean. So I erected small bamboo supports on nearly a third of the plants that needed it.

I had half my crop in morning light with afternoon shade and rest in full sun, but did not notice a significant difference in production. After the spring plants peaked I sowed a second batch in August & harvested before the fall frost.

Very tasty with sea salt and worthy of space in the garden again. Looking forward to adding the Korean Black edamame this year as well.

Neutral Farmerdill On Jan 6, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a new variety introduced into the U.S. markets from Japan. This easy-to-grow variety produces lots of high quality and delicious Edamame soybeans, and is one of the most popular snack items in the beer party and Japanese restaurants.