Rocket Larkspur
Consolida ambigua 'Giant Imperial Mix'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Consolida (kon-SO-lih-duh) (Info)
Species: ambigua (am-big-yoo-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Giant Imperial Mix

Dark Blue

Blue-Violet

Violet/Lavender

Purple

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Glen Avon, California

Mcallen, Texas

Madison, Wisconsin

positive

On Jun 11, 2013, weedsfree from Magna, UT (Zone 7a) wrote:

I started off with the dark blue flowering one. Last year, I found a pink one and this year there are a few pink ones. After all the years I have been growing this, last year was the first year I got pink ones. I think this would make the 5th or 6th year. It does self seed very well even if you think you have gotten them all one way or another.
P.S. My understanding about why there is a "not applicable" on the hardiness is because it is an annual. Just about anybody can grow annuals but it will be at different times of the year.

On Jun 27, 2011, amacf from Hightstown, NJ wrote:

I am confused, too, about cold hardiness for the Rocket Larkspur 'Giant Imperial Mix' being listed as "not applicable". Is this because it simply reseeds itself every year?

On Oct 24, 2009, digforrestdig from West Palm Beach, FL wrote:

I was just curious to know if this plant could survive the South Florida heat in its page in DG they say it isn't applicable??

On Mar 21, 2009, Hemophobic from Kannapolis, NC wrote:

Right front of this photo in the large square pot are larkspur `Giant Imperial' seedlings which were wintersown this winter.

On Jul 11, 2007, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I was somewhat disappointed with the particular mix I got. It turned out to be almost entirely the dark purple color, with only one pale pink and one pale lavender plant. None of the white, or the dark salmon pink that is my favorite. Also the flowers were all singles, although I thought that this cultivar was supposed to be a mix of singles and doubles (?). That may have just been my bad luck. Anyway, it's still a graceful and lovely plant, and I will certainly be growing it again and again, although perhaps I'll try a different cultivar.

Update: I got a selected strain of this mix in 2008, and was thrilled with it. Lots of doubles and lots of gorgeous colors. Beautiful!