Purple Leaf Plum, Purple Cherry Plum
Prunus cerasifera 'Krauter Vesuvius'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Prunus (PROO-nus) (Info)
Species: cerasifera (ke-ra-SEE-fer-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Krauter Vesuvius
Additional cultivar information:(aka Krauter's Vesuvius, Krauters Vesuvius)

Good Fall Color

Kennewick, Washington

Richland, Washington

positive

On Sep 28, 2013, Wiberg2006 from Kennewick, WA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I bought one of these trees at a Walmart at the end of the season several years back; it was half price. I planted it on a hillside next to an American Cranberry. The combination was striking. We have very dry heat here in the summer and this tree kept its color and shrugged off the heat. It received regular water from our underground sprinkling system; I would say its needs are average. The tree was always healthy, no problems with disease of any kind. In four years it had reached about 12-13 feet in height and maybe 9 to 10 ft in width. We sold the home and have since built another. I will be planting another of these, possibly more of them since I now have a half acre to landscape.

On Jun 23, 2012, Gracye from Warrenton, VA wrote:

Bought this tree from the professional division of our local nursery last year. Professionally planted by same. Battled the horrible Virginia heat and some bugs last summer.
This year, it is thickly-leafed-out, and a real showpiece. Compared to the existing plums in the neighborhood, it is a bit darker, and much nicer in performance.
Removed the stakes last week, but concerned about the "top-heavy" nature of it in a bad storm. Had a very bad one last night - it just swayed with the weather - did NOT uproot as feared.
I think that any ornamental, mid-sized tree is on the high maintenance side of life, so this is why I gave it a neutral. But it is far superior to any other plum I've seen!

On Nov 25, 2006, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

From Just Fruits and Exotics: "The darkest of the purple-leafed plums. Topping out at 8-10 feet, the tree is vase-shaped and easy to grow. Small pink flowers in spring. Drought tolerant once established and has its best color in full sun. South to Zone 9."