Dollar Plant, Jade Plant, Jade Tree, Money Tree
Crassula ovata

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crassula (KRASS-oo-la) (Info)
Species: ovata (oh-VAY-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Crassula argentea
Synonym:Crassula portulacea

Cactus and Succulents

Purple

Mid Winter

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Huntsville, Alabama

Fresno, California

Hayward, California

Huntington Beach, California

Lodi, California

Los Angeles, California (2 reports)

Mission Viejo, California

Modesto, California

Murrieta, California

Palm Springs, California

Pleasant Hill, California

Reseda, California

San Diego, California (2 reports)

Simi Valley, California

Thousand Oaks, California

Valley Village, California

Agate, Colorado

Bradley, Florida

Brooksville, Florida

Deltona, Florida

Fountain, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Lake City, Florida

Maitland, Florida

Melbourne, Florida

Pensacola, Florida

Port Charlotte, Florida

Port Richey, Florida

Sarasota, Florida (3 reports)

Spring Hill, Florida

Round Rock, Texas

Puyallup, Washington

Renton, Washington

On Sep 7, 2013, johnny26 from Fall River, MA wrote:

Easy tough succulent to grow i put it outdoors from spring to fall i grow it in partial sun grows big.

On Jun 19, 2013, Floridoug from St. Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Mine has grown well for me in St. Petersburg, FL in a large pot with drainage holes in regular potting soil. I have mine under a large tree so it's not in direct light mid-day. It's not flowered well at all, though; I don't know if it would flower better with brighter light. It gets rained on a lot, but it doesn't rot because the pot doesn't hold water.

On Sep 7, 2008, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

The most common succulent plant in California. You can't give them away..so it's amazing to see so many gardeners on Dave's Garden wanting to trade for one.
I can't deny the appeal since I too make room for a 5' jade with fat trunk. Although they seem invincible,temps much below a simple 30f can damage or even kill a large jade. Sometimes you wont see any leaf damage,then later a branch,or much worse a trunk, will shrivel.
They do need some summer water.I just saw a large Jade that hasn't seen a drop of water since April and it's now September. Leaves flat, no longer Jade, but brown with hint of green. Waiting for fall rains.

btw,So common, palmbob has no comment!

On Mar 6, 2008, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Dollar Plant, Jade Plant, Jade Tree, Money Tree is an introduced plant in Hawaii and has become naturalized. I ahve grown it with protection from freezes in San Antonio, Texas.

On Mar 6, 2008, drecenra from Orting, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have had a Jade tree for two years now. I bought it at home depot and put it in a sunny window. Outside in the sun in summer.

It kept tipping over in the pot and discovered that it is best to hold back on water in order to encourage root growth. Tried it and it works. Now I usually don't water it for three weeks at a time and it does great.

When a couple of branches fell off I put 'em in a pot of dirt and they rooted. I've also tried rooting every leaf that falls off, and while they don't always work, I have about a dozen baby jade plants in varous pots; the leaf born plants seem to be slower growing, however. One of my favorite plants.

On Feb 15, 2008, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I think this is one of the most grown plants in my town. Every 5th house has huge ones in their yards. They are gown in clusters usually; I think because they break off and root on their own. It is such an easy plant. I remember when I was a child my mother had one in her dining room in NJ. It was a prize plant of hers. She was so proud of it. I bet it wasn't any bigger than 10 inches. She had it for years. I used to pick its leaves off and make her so mad. LOL.

When I first moved to California, I saw one in a yard that was about 5 feet tall. I took a picture and sent it to my Mom. I was speechless.

I have had a huge one myself for over 20 years here. It is in a pot on my front porch. I retrieved it from a road where it had been run over by a ca... read more

On Dec 26, 2007, bubbylar from Newberg, OR wrote:

I have two of these plants going right now. The larger of the two (about 15" tall) was a start from a bush/tree that stood about 5 feet tall and was about 8 feet across. This mother plant was growing on a college campus in Southern California where I worked. I walked past this tree everyday on my way to my office and finally decided to take a 3" cutting.

Now living in Oregon, I took a cutting of this original start a few months ago. It is small, but doing quite well. No blooms, but that's okay!

On Dec 23, 2007, jonaflatooni from Port Orchard, WA wrote:

Crassula ovata has been a great slow growing succulent plant. I have found in my zone that high intensity light during summer can burn leaves especially new growth.

Crassula ovata has enjoyed the best growth in part sun to full sun for most of the day.

It gets too cold and freezes or frosts/snows in my area to keep it planted outside without dying.

Propagation worked best with taking stem cuttings from larger plants and suspending them in water to develop roots. After root growth had begun they were transplanted into a growing medium.

I had trouble with successful leaf rooting as well as stem cuttings that had dried and then putting them directly into soil. I had too much rot from these attempts. These attempts were not in greenh... read more

On Jul 17, 2007, DMgardener from (Daniel) Mount Orab, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

my jade plant is now about three inches high. Igot it at a plant hosted by the local library it is thiving and has 2 new leaves i put it outside for the summer and it is thiving

On Jun 11, 2007, Accer from Shelton, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

What a plant. Received a small plant with just a few leaves from a friend about 6 years ago. I left the plant in my unheated greenhouse. It did not seem to grow any so like many others I decided to repot it. In just 2 years in my unheated greenhouse, not paying much attention to it except a little water every few months through the winter, it now stands 3 feet tall, is very bushy with a single trunk of approx 5" in diameter. Very healthy. I would say it survived better by my neglect than it would have if I paid particular attention to it. This past winter it bloomed profusely and stayed in bloom for a very long time. My husband and I were in shock when we went to the greenhouse after a storm and found it in full bloom. I have just installed a larger greenhouse and we had to remov... read more

On Nov 24, 2006, willow22552 from Bath, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I can safely say that age has nothing to do with the Jade flowering. I have had my plant for two years and it just started to flower. I keep it in the greenhouse though the spring, summer, and fall and when the temp dips outside, I bring it in to a sunny window. Flowering has to do with day length so make sure if it's inside, you keep it in a room that the lights are kept off at night and I think you will find your plant will flower.

On Aug 23, 2006, solardust from Fond Du Lac, WI (Zone 3b) wrote:

My husband purchased our Jade from the green house at the hospital he works at,the elderly man that runs the green house said this Jade was in the range of 60+ yrs,its alittle over 5 ft tall with a huge trunk,currently we have it outside in its original pot,its leaf tips are a very nice red shade,since it is the first jade I have ever owned,I must admitt I am a bit scared of killing it,my main fear is when it comes in this fall that it will go into shock or something,my neighbor said her "mothers" Jade would always drop all its leaves at first then regrow them towards sping,I have not read that anywhere,so am unsure if this is correct or not,hopefully mine will do fine,fingers and toes are crossed here.Hopefully I will be able to repost this spring with a positive and grateful response.Sol... read more

On Jun 16, 2006, Pashta from Moncks Corner, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I think these might be the easiest plants to grow in the history of plants. Not only can I not kill it (not that I am trying to), but they seem to grow out of nothing from leaves which have either fallen off or have broken off! I have a small shelf full of leaves which I have pruned off of bigger plants, and they all have sent out roots and formed small leaves on them. I water mine very well about once a month, and then sporatically in between depending on the heat and humidity, or lack thereof. They are not in direct light, except for one, which is under a grow light.

On Feb 23, 2006, Gardengirly from Woodruff, SC wrote:

I have a varigated Crassula.... And I have been trying for months now to find info on a true white... This varigated plant sent out a pure white off-shoot... No, it is not green at the base, nor does it turn green when I remove a leaf and restart it. I mean not even a hint of color... I can send pics if you want. In the sun it turns rose on the edges, and the white turns a little cream, but even at the stem and at the newest growth, there is not a hint of green. The plant has been growing now for several months, and is about 4 inches long, growing on two stems, with about sixteen leaves. No green. Also all the leaves that I "plucked" and started are equally ivory. How rare is this? I have not been able to find any info on it... I do know for a fact that I have a Crassula Ovata.... ... read more

On Jan 15, 2006, CindyDale from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant did not like living outdoors here - apparently it rains too much. Since then I've moved it to an enclosed porch, and it seems better.

On Aug 31, 2005, Scorpioangel from Gold Hill, OR (Zone 7a) wrote:

One of my longest lasting houseplants. I have had my Jade fro 20+ years. I bought it as a 4" houseplant and I just repotted it last year for the first time in 10 years. I kept it in the same pot that long to create a bonsi type plant. It can take neglect a great plant for the 'brown thumb'

On Apr 29, 2005, MaryE from Baker City, OR (Zone 5b) wrote:

My jade plant started as a 3 inch cutting in 1982. It has always been a house plant, living in a corner of the living room that has large north and east windows for the last 12 years. I let it get so pot bound that it was in danger of tipping over in a plastic pot so it was repotted it to a ceramic pot about 3 years ago. It got watered about every 2 or 3 weeks using a weak liquid fertilizer or sometimes plain water. After a few years I cut off some limbs and planted them in the same pot. This fall the older part started blooming, just a few but I am thrilled. Before Christmas we moved it out to the greenhouse and it continues to bloom even though it is in full sun, sunburned and obviously quite happy.

On Jan 20, 2005, cacti_lover from Henderson, NV (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant is very easy to grow in Southern California where the climate is fairly mild all year. It can be planted directly out doors. If you give it full sun, it looks yellowish green with red margin. If in the shade, it is dark green in color. Here in Las Vegas/Henderson area, it is mostly an indoor plant. If you leave it outside, it will freeze in the winter and will burn in the summer--even in the shade. It will be okay to leave it outside only in the spring and fall months. It needs more water than a cactus but less water than other common house plants.

On Oct 13, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

In California, both South and North, it has done extremely well for me! In shade, sun, in the house, lovely when in bloom.

On Jul 1, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

We lost our large jade plant which had been planted in the ground, but were able to salvage a small piece which we planted in a pot. It resides on our lanai until it gets large enough to transplant back into the yard.

On Jun 30, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

my parents had a large one in the ground, plus some in pots, and thats where I got mine. It's one of the few plants I keep in pots. Never knew they bloomed, 50 years of jade plants and I've never seen a flower. Do like them, but it's partly sentimental.

On Jun 12, 2004, Yaya7 from Laredo, TX wrote:

Interesting how almost everyone who's posted has owned their jade for years! So have I. I've had it for over ten years. It was potbound in the same pot for years, did fine. Finally repotted it, and has grown more since. I need to take more cuttings, it has branched all over the place, but in a compact sort of way. I tend to overwater it, which I know I shouldn't, and it is still doing great. It is a lovely plant. Everyone should have one.

On Nov 28, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

The largest jade plant I ever saw was protectively planted in an outdoor concrete planter in the "indented" entrance to a small store in the Sunset neighborhood of San Francisco, about 20 blocks back from the Pacific Ocean. This area gets both sun and fog, but the climate is a cool Mediterranean one. The plant was about four feet tall and about three feet wide, and must have been there for many, many years to attain that size.

I personally do not do well with jade plants, as I tend to overwater all of my plants, so I generally avoid succulents and stick to the jungle types. I think the broad leaved houseplants are more healthy in the house anyway as they make good air filters. But I think most succulents are very attractive, and I wish I could be more successful with t... read more

On Nov 27, 2003, gerbil_baby wrote:

My husband owned a jade plant before he met me, I am unsure of how long he owned it. As soon as we married I "inherited" the plant and have had it for over 5 years now. It has not bloomed yet but it is a beautiful plant regardless. It also is very easy to care for. It has even survived my forgetfulness of watering it for a few weeks. I highly reccomend this plant for beginners or for people who seem to forget (like me) to water their plants regulary :) Hopefully my Jade will last a long time to come!

On Nov 7, 2003, morel5555 wrote:

I acquired two hardy jade plants in 1992. They were both in the same pot and both had trunk circumferences of 7-8". I repotted them into separate pots and they have grown faster than any other plant i have (I have a LOT)and now are 3 and 4' tall, about as wide or a little wider than they are tall. the taller one started blooming last week, and the other one has just begun. These plants are approx. 15-18 years old. i've read on your site that they bloom at maturity,

Also,these particular jade plants have been the most prolific of anything i've ever grown. I've knocked off large branches during moving and i just stick them in a pot of soil and they take off! Sometimes I think they're trying to take over my whole plant collection; there's a little jadie growing with almost eve... read more

On Oct 15, 2003, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

The Jade tree as a single trunk is my favorite. It has been in my family for four generations. Members of the family all have starts off my grandfather's plant. We have to treat it as a house plant in Washington in the winters, but it spends the Spring, Summer and early Fall on the deck in full sun.

It loves water, but too much will rot the plant. Better to keep it on the dry side. It has flowered each year around Christmas; needing the short days and long nights to set the blooms, similar to a Pointsettia or Mum.

In full sun the leaf edges turn a nice deep red, a nice contrast to the deep jade green leaves. I have some Jade plants with varigated green and white leaves and a Sunset Jade, with green leaves streaked with cream/white and pinkish red.
... read more

On Sep 2, 2003, pacman wrote:

My mother was given a small piece almost 40 years ago. She kept it in a pot for years, and finally decided to plant it in the ground outside the house. She planted it on the north side of the house where there is no direct sunlight, but good healthy ground. It is also planted near the sewer line.
This plant is about 5 feet tall, forked at the base, almost 5 feet wide at it's largest point, and each side of the fork is at least 7 inches in diameter.
Very healthy and still going strong.

On Jun 9, 2003, wroems wrote:

The plant have a mild toxic substance although in South Africa it is used by the natives as a vermifuge, for epileptic seizures, for cuts and sore, for warts and corns.

For cuts and sores the leaves have to be cut in half and put on the sore and put a plaster over it. Redress morning and afternoon. It help for the pain as well. Like a local anaesthetic. Sores heals more rapidly with a leave from the C. ovata.

On Apr 7, 2003, nebular from Kihei, HI (Zone 12b) wrote:

I have a "mother plant" that is probably over 20 years old. It is 3 feet tall and getting quite leggy. It's got to be root-bound, but it weighs too much and is too awkward to re-pot. The mother flowered for the very first time last fall. Some cuttings I took off of it are living in a south window and are much better looking than the original. The leaves are 4 times the size of the other plant.

On Mar 27, 2003, tommcf from Buchanan, NY wrote:

This is one of my favorite plants. I got a 3' tall, 15 year-old plant in 1995. It flowered three times, and was quite an impressive plant. It had been a cutting from a tree that was 6 feet in diameter and at least 100 years old. In about the third or fourth year I had the plant, it contracted an aphid infection. No matter what I did, I couldnt get rid of them. They got in the creases of the plant along the stem and branches. It took them about a year and half, but they eventually killed it. (This plant is HIGHLY susceptible to aphids.) I managed to save five cuttings (leaf only, woody stem and green stem types) before I decided to call it quits for that plant. The plant was a health risk to my other plants.

Many of the cuttings lasted for a while, just to contract aphid... read more

On Nov 6, 2002, steveor wrote:

I have had my jade plant since I took a cutting as a child about 20 years ago. This year I put it in the greenhouse after always having kept it indoors. The tips went red all over, there's lots of new growth and it's flowered for the first time ever. Brilliant.

On Nov 3, 2002, vredfish from Tampa, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Makes an excellent Bonsai !!

On Nov 2, 2002, dex wrote:

Typically, jade plants will bloom usually around Christmas (in the northern hemisphere.) Blooming is triggered by the natural shortening of the days.

If your plant is in a room which usually has lights turned on at night, it may fail to bloom. Try to find a suitable, naturally lighted place for the Jade sometime in early October.

On Mar 28, 2002, karencordova wrote:

They grow like weeds in Southern California, so when trying to think of how to take care of these plants, think So Cal: little rain and lots of (preferably) ambiant light.

On Nov 3, 2000, dave wrote:

A satisfying lush succulent, the jade bears the resemblance of a small tree.

Like many succulents, they are slow growers. It may take 20 years to reach 3 feet in height. In perfect conditions, the plant will reward you with white or purple tiny flowers.