Bigleaf Ligularia, Golden Groundsel, Bigleaf Goldenray
Ligularia dentata 'Othello'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ligularia (lig-yoo-LAR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: dentata (den-TAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Othello
Synonym:Ligularia clivorum

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Blue-Green

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

Clayton, California

Twisp, Washington

Ellsworth, Wisconsin

River Falls, Wisconsin

On Jan 21, 2011, bonehead from Cedarhome, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Striking plant, good in the shade, but do patrol regularly for slugs. They can desicate a plant overnight.

On Jun 15, 2010, GuitarGeorge from New Tripoli, PA wrote:

I obtained a bigleaf goldenray plnt from a local nursery, planted it in a fairly wet, shady area, and within a week something has eaten almost all the leaves. I suspect slugs, as I can see the slime trails. Anyone else have this problem, or any other comments or solutions? I live in eastern PA.

On Jul 29, 2008, gardenlady123 from Plainwell, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

We have mostly shade in our yard. When I was serching for items when I was a newcomer to gardening, I had no idea what I was buying!!! But this plant is my all time favorite. It never dissappoints me!!! The flowers are an added bonus. I have several ligularias. Love them all!!! I would recommend these plants to any one with shaded yards. If in the shade they really are pretty water conscience.

On Jul 14, 2008, vagardener from Springfield, VA wrote:

I had tried several times to grow the Othello in various locations in the garden. All died. When my last two appeared to be failing, I finally transferred them to ceramic pots early last summer and thats where they stayed there over the winter. They appeared in early spring and started growing vigorously. I transferred them again to a raised garden bed spring and they took off. They're starting to develop flowers pod and I'm very excited. The Othello is a a beautiful speciman and I'm glad I never gave up trying to grow them in the garden.

On Jun 28, 2007, dicentra63 from West Valley City, UT (Zone 6b) wrote:

Tried to grow this from seed. It did not germinate.

On May 27, 2007, silvershade from Saint Paul, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Have been growing since 2001. Thrives since a move to dappled shade from deep shade. It is naturally re-seeding in the garden.

On Jun 22, 2005, sandy4 from Reading, MA wrote:

I have over twenty of these plants in my garden in sandy loam in partial shade. They need a shady area to grow since too much sun will wilt the leaves. They will also wilt if not watered regularly during a dry spell. I have not been able to germinate any seed successfully from my plants. But they do multiply and divisions are easily seperated from the mother plant. Overall, its a beautiful plant to have especially if you have a bog area which I believe it is most suited for. With a constant supply of moist soil, I believe it will tolerate more sun.

On Nov 24, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is a compact, clump-forming perennial with long-stalked, leathery leaves. Flowers bloom in mid summer and are daisy-like with bright gold flower heads. It prefers light sun, but will take full sun as long as it gets lots of moisture, but be sure the soil drains well. Reaches a height of 20".

On Oct 12, 2003, Lauribob from Twisp, WA wrote:

This is one of my favorites. The foliage is huge and very striking with it's purplish undersides. The golden daisy-like flowers are just a bonus. It grows well on the shady side of my house with Japanese Painted Ferns to set it off.

On Aug 10, 2001, Sis wrote:

Big-Leaved Ligularia has bright,daisy-like flowers and 1-2ft(30-60cm)round or kidney-shaped leaves on long stalks.

Plants grow from stout crowns with thick,fleshy roots.