Oriental Poppy 'Patty's Plum'

Papaver orientale

Family: Papaveraceae (pa-pav-er-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Papaver (puh-PAY-ver) (Info)
Species: orientale (or-ee-en-TAY-lee) (Info)
Cultivar: Patty's Plum

Lompoc, California

Boise, Idaho

Coshocton, Ohio

Hillsboro, Oregon

American Fork, Utah

Mukilteo, Washington

On May 3, 2015, hermero from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have had this plant for 3 years. No flower's the first year which is to be expected. 2 good blooms last year, this year larger plant with healthy looking foilage, but no blooms. I used slow release fertilizer after bloom last year, 10-10-10. Could it be too much Nitrogen? We did have a warmer and dryer than usual winter. Does anyone know if oriental poppies have a cold requirement?

On Nov 2, 2014, rose_gardenmom from Boise, ID wrote:

The pocket gophers here really love oriental poppies . . . I've had entire blooming plants completely disappear in hours, pulled under by the roots! Finally found a way to safely grow 'Patty's Plum' . . . dug a large hole and buried two very large rocks that naturally formed a narrow wedge between them, with the poppy roots squeezed between. It worked, and the plant has been thriving now for several years. :)

On Apr 2, 2013, snidley from American Fork, UT wrote:

In Utah these plants are very hardy and survived for many years without any water except the meager amount we get around here. Most everything else died when I had to leave my perrenial garden for a number of years.
I have oriental orange poppies. Like I said like weeds, but people don't pick them. And they make a beautiful bouquet. The trick is to catch them young (just opening) so they last longer. Then you have to either dip them in wax as you pick them, or, the method I use is to take a lighter and burn the cut ends for fifteen or twenty seconds. So I choose, pick, burn and directly into water. They will last and are beautiful. I have ordered a red and a white for planting this year and am considering buying patty's plum. Mine are very old ( over twenty years ) and ... read more

On Dec 8, 2005, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

Obtained as a young plant from Mill Cottage Plants, Wookey, UK, whose owner is a registered RHS speaker. This plant is a vegetative propogation, and is the only way a true plant can be got. Seed grown plants will not come true, but it is said not to produce seed. However I have had seed from it and grown a very interesting plant, crossed with two others I have, and is as worthy as the parent, but very different. I have also seen seed for sale.
It has been in its present spot for 5 years and has grown to a good sized clump, always flowering reliably. A wonderfully cupped and frilly paper crepe-textured flower.