Comptonia peregrina

Family: Myricaceae
Genus: Comptonia (komp-TOH-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: peregrina (per-uh-GREE-nuh) (Info)

By simple layering

Woodstock, Vermont

Blacksburg, Virginia

Ashland, Wisconsin

On Nov 1, 2014, eaim from Davidsonville, MD wrote:

I have had this plant for about 16 years...beautiful plant. In the late fall, the scalloped leaves are a combination of bronze, gold, red, and green before turning tan and dropping. I probably have it at its southernmost limit? I brought it with me from Maine, and planted it in a mix of horrible construction backfill and clay soil (dirt?), and it took off...
The plant is now about 4.5 feet high and sends out new sprouts rhizomatously. It has not grown much width-wise....but has filled out. I love it.

On Dec 28, 2010, Zephyrae13 from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

I would see this plant all over in the Brule River State Park up in Wisconsin. It always is found in sunny locations with well drained (sandy!), slightly acidic soil. It is found in conjunction with Jack, White, and Red Pine, blueberries, Hawkweed, Pussy toes, Bearberry, Barren Strawberry and Sand Cherry. The smell is citrusy, and sweet. Only a couple plants are needed for the fragrance to really get around. They have a deep tap root, so transplanting them from the wild successfully is nearly impossible. Best to start from seed, in my opinion. Good for a rock garden, bonsai, or a raised berm. Not alkalai or salt tolerant.

On Oct 5, 2010, dreamgreen from Weaverville, NC wrote:

I have not yet grown this plant but there is a very informative article about Sweet-fern including the best time to take cuttings at http://arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/445.pdf

On Sep 6, 2010, dmith7777 from East Brookfield, MA wrote:

This plant needs dry, sandy, crap soil with little or no nutrients,

On May 13, 2009, Tigernach from Charlottesville, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've now killed this plant three times. I've been able to successfully culture it in a pot, but the moment I put it in the ground it always dies. For that mater, I've transplanted ones from the wild and established them in pots fairly easily. I just can't get them to grow in soil. There has got to be some soil requirement they need that I'm just not understanding... If someone figures that out then please post.

On May 11, 2009, EffieH from Amston, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

Sweet fern grows wild in our area of Connecticut and we just ADORE it -- it's not only beautiful but smells so sweet. My husband and I tried digging one up from the wild one time and transplanting it to a dry rocky area in our yard, but it died immediately. I've since read that it is extremely hard to almost impossible to transplant a wild one and that you should look for nursery grown plants. We were hiking this weekend along some power lines in a hot, dry, rocky area and there was a whole field of sweetfern and I was inspired to see if I could buy some online. I just found some for sale on eBay from seller "WildthingsNursery" and ordered them -- I'm hoping I can get them to grow in my yard! I'll report back and let everyone know if they made it or not.

4/25/2010 ... read more

On Sep 2, 2008, Shrubman88 from Westmoreland, NH (Zone 4b) wrote:

This plant so far for me has been difficult to establish. I have tried to start numerous small plants that have been transplanted, and they have all wilted away.

On Aug 29, 2006, gregr18 from Bridgewater, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

If you are walking in sandy pine woods in southeastern MA or on Cape Cod, it is difficult to escape this plant and its spicy scent. It doesn't like to be disturbed in the wild, and those who want to grow it should be able to find it available from New England nurseries that sell woody plants. Nursery stock takes transplanting and garden culture much better than wild stock, but the plant does need to be babied a bit while it establishes itself.

On May 22, 2005, ellyssian from Lehighton, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Sweet fern grows wild along my street - several neighbors have it growing in abundance. We have two 3x4' shrubs and two that are still single stem, 1-2' tall. They are growing on a bank, and seem to be hanging on in the face of some serious erosion.

The fragrance is strong enough to catch traces of it as you walk by, although I had to roll a leaf between my fingers to verify exactly where it was coming from.

I couldn't find anyone who could identify what it was, and early searches and modern books all failed me. One night I was flipping through a 1930's era book "Our Northern Shrubs" and there it was - very distinctive long leaves, that look like overlapping alternate plates that give it a fern-like look, hence the common name.

It does a grea... read more