Beefsteak Plant, Shiso, Green Perilla 'Aoshiso'

Perilla frutescens

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Perilla (per-IL-uh) (Info)
Species: frutescens (froo-TESS-enz) (Info)
Cultivar: Aoshiso
Additional cultivar information:(aka Ao-shiso)

Not Applicable

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Union Grove, Alabama

Culpeper, Virginia

Spotsylvania, Virginia

Walla Walla, Washington

On Apr 1, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I used to be partial to the purple-leaf strain, but after growing it once in pots I found it turned into a persistent annual weed. After more than a decade, I'm still weeding it out of the beds. It's very aggressive and outcompetes many perennials.

A pretty plant, but there are far too many other pretty plants that are less work. I'll never plant this again deliberately in any garden.

Coleus makes an excellent substitute, unless you want to eat it.

This species is highly toxic to many animals, including horses, cattle, goats, rats, mice, and hamsters. It is responsible for fatal livestock poisonings when it invades pasturage.

This plant's invasive behavior has alarmed many organizations concerned with preserving natural areas, inc... read more

On Aug 20, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant, in both green & red variations, is naturalized here in Culpeper, VA, & I have several plants coming up in partial to full shade uncultivated areas of my property, some of which I'm planning on potting up.

While I haven't cooked with it yet, I do find it pleasant to nibble on when I'm working outdoors, & do plan to begin using it in both Korean & Japanese dishes. The taste, to me, is a mild mint/licorice.

On Jul 17, 2005, kimchifan from Los Angeles, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This herb is used by this household as a condiment for Korean and Japanese cuisine, eaten freshly chopped atop Korean cold noodles or as a wrapper for other foods. It's also made into kimchi.

Easily spreads to other pots or containers but this is not frowned upon in our garden! Seems to thrive in cool winter sun (in the California desert) without any need for shade. However, once the weather warms it will go directly to seed. In Zone 9+, don't bother planting past March. Sow on sandy, cactus soil and don't bury seed. Begin inside and transplant outside after the New Year. Once the plant goes to seed, the leaf quality quickly suffers and becomes asymmetrical in appearance.

The Victorians are said to have been fond of this plant and used it as an ornamental in... read more

On Jan 23, 2005, Windy from Belleville , IL (Zone 6b) wrote:

seed needs light to germinate. Do not cover seed.