Mexican Flame Vine, Orange Glow Vine
Senecio confusus 'Sao Paulo'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Senecio (sen-ek-ee-o ) (Info)
Species: confusus (kon-FEW-sus) (Info)
Cultivar: Sao Paulo

Shalimar, Florida

Wauchula, Florida

Townsend, Georgia

Honolulu, Hawaii

Lafayette, Louisiana (2 reports)

Clinton, Mississippi

Linn, Texas

Mcallen, Texas

Mission, Texas

New Braunfels, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Santa Fe, Texas

South Padre Island, Texas

Spring, Texas

Zapata, Texas

On May 24, 2013, dfgardener from San Antonio, TX wrote:

Very drough tolerant as a mature plant. I started mine from a cutting 8 years ago. Grows up on dwarf youpon hollies for support. Dies back to the ground every winter in very cold weather but returns in the spring. Alkaline rocky soil. No fertilizer. Light mulch. Some water in dry periods. No pampered care. Blooms well. Not aggressive yet. Has not spread yet. Lights up the front yard. Gorgeous. The bright orange flame vine looks great with the pink pavonia rock rose flowers.

On Oct 31, 2012, happy_girl from Redondo Beach, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I got this plant through an online nursery and it is AMAZING! I planted it near our address plaque and it is a ball of red and green in a circular shape....thick with flowers. It seems to always be in bloom.

I purchased another one and planted it in half sun/half shade next to the garage door. We put a wire up the side and then across the overhang above the garage door all the way over and past the front door. The information for this plant says 8 to 10 feet but this vine has grown about 16 feet so far. We even planted another one on the other side which should meet in the center eventually.

It is a fast growing beautiful vine that brings delight to us when we arrive home. Doesn't seem to need much care at all. I do, however, have to use green tape to ... read more

On Feb 20, 2010, subyz from Gwynn's Island, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I think the cold winter here in Austin may have killed this amazing bloomer, but if so, I will still look for another to replace it. It was the star bloomer of our new hummingbird/butterfly garden we put in last spring. From what some people have said here, it may surprise me and comeback. That would even make it more amazing!

On Aug 1, 2009, morabeza79 from Honolulu (upper Mānoa), HI (Zone 11) wrote:

I have long wanted to grow this species, but was wary to introduce anything that might prove invasive within Hawai'i's vast array of micro- and 'macro-' climates and its ber-imperiled endemic plants and ecosystems.

When I obtained this clone I watched it very carefully and dead-headed every single flower before they could have a chance to set seed. Later on I discovered that the clone 'So Paulo' seems to be self-sterile and incapable of producing seed by its lonesome. Perhaps it is just missing another clone for fertilisation of the embryos to occur, however I have come to learn through HEAR.org that the regular species of S. confusus was already spreading at least on Maui and O'ahu islands. I don't know if its spread is due to asexual or sexual reproduction. The regu... read more

On Jun 6, 2008, anniedelcarpio from Lafayette, LA wrote:

This is an easy to grow, hardy plant. In southern Louisiana, in three months, this vine grew seven--eight feet. It died back to the ground during winter and came back full again this spring.

On Dec 14, 2007, usa522 from Canyon Lake, TX wrote:

Searched for months for this plant at local nurseries, Lowes, Home Depot, and others. Finally found two poor looking half dead plants in an abandoned grow house for $5.00. Took them home and planted them in full sun next to my chain link fence at the property line. I mix 80 pounds top soil, 80 pounds humus, and 40 pounds of aged cow manure for planting medium. Grew over ten feet in 4 months, bushed out very well with numerous streamers, and bloom continuously here in the Texas Hill Country north of San Antonio. They don't like too much water. The deer think they are delicious! I had to hand twine them at first. Supposed to be toxic but I handle them all the time with no ill effect.