PlantFiles: Velvet Leaf Philodendron, Heartleaf Philodendron
Philodendron hederaceum

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Philodendron (fil-oh-DEN-dron) (Info)
Species: hederaceum (hed-er-AYE-see-um) (Info)
Additional cultivar information: (aka Angra Dos Reis)

Synonym:Philodendron cordatum

Thumbnail #6 of Philodendron hederaceum by dvdbwn

By plantladylin
Thumbnail #7 of Philodendron hederaceum by plantladylin

Positive BarryZZZ On Jan 1, 2011, BarryZZZ from Waxhaw, NC wrote:

My family has had one of these plants for over fifty years. I am fiercely reactive to poison ivy and have been for as long as I can remember, my sister got into her sixties before becoming sensitive to the dreadful stuff as a result of a heavy exposure while weeding a flower bed. Some time after that, she re-potted her velvet philodendron and in a day or two a rash quite similar to that of poison ivy appeared on her hands, in a milder form. When I heard of this I tried an experiment, I cut a bit of the vine off and drew a small "X" and an "O" on the inside of my wrist with the juice from the cut end. In two days the rash showed up. I have a strong suspicion the plant contains urushiol or something very much like it. Simply touching it is no problem but I wear gloves for any extensive handling of the lovely thing.

Positive Eishau On Nov 19, 2009, Eishau from South Bend, IN wrote:

I like this plant. I bought two from the local Wal-Mart. They were in bad shape due to overwatering at the store. I've had them now for about two months. They both have recovered! At first I thought something was terribly wrong with them because of the red tint. But after watching them, and looking in books, I realize that is their color. Yea, red is my favorite color. I'm a new gardner and I'm learning alot. Thanks for this site!!!!!

Positive BackyardZoo On Aug 25, 2006, BackyardZoo from Poquoson, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Growing very well in my cubicle-farm office. Took a little while to recover, but now has responded very well to a re-potting with good potting soil. Little other care needed beyond a touch of water each week.

Prefer it over other philodendrons that I've seen both for it's softer, velvety look and because it is much leafier, without so much bare stem between leaves.

Have had a few comments from people thinking the red tint to the leaves was an unhealthy sign, but like the unusual color myself.

Positive IslandJim On Aug 24, 2006, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of my favorite Philodendrons. I have it crawling up a slash pine [Pinus elliottii], and like many of its relatives, its leaves are getting larger the higher it climbs.

Grass Valley, California