PlantFiles: Wishbone Flower, Bluewings
Torenia fournieri 'Summer Wave Blue'

Family: Scrophulariaceae (skrof-yoo-larr-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Torenia (tor-EN-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: fournieri (for-NEER-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Summer Wave Blue
Additional cultivar information: (PP10843, Summer Wave™ series, aka Sunrenilabu)
Hybridized by Suntory Ltd.; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1997

Thumbnail #6 of Torenia fournieri by Sharkey

By BlissfulGarden
Thumbnail #7 of Torenia fournieri by BlissfulGarden

Neutral Rosary615 On Sep 8, 2008, Rosary615 from Nashville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

Planted in Nashville TN in 2007. Interspersed with impatiens in area that received 1.5 hours of early morning sun, then shaded by my house the rest of the day. Torenia & Impatiens did great in spring. We had drought that summer. Watered every 3-4 days, barely enough so perennials didn't die. Impatiens thrived but Torenia burned up immediately. I've had volunteer Torenia plants all this summer but no blooms. I may try Torenia next year, but in a bed in my backyard by my teeny-tiny little creek, where it would be in filtered shade all day and have water as long as the creek runs.

Positive stormddancer On Jan 24, 2007, stormddancer from Poteet, TX wrote:

I live below San Antoino TX in the heat of summer this plants just puts on a heck of a show. I planted 6 plants in 2002 and have never planted any more, I am blessed with new plants every year. I do nothing special just water and weed and every week a liquid feed. I have some seeds for a yellow one called Lemon Drop and am going to give that a try this year.

Positive alph On Aug 13, 2006, alph from Wrentham, MA wrote:

This is the 2nd year we've had a "Summer Wave Blue" in a hanging basket here in southeastern Massachusetts. As you can tell by the image I submitted, the plant thrives. I water and feed (very light liquid plant food in the water) every day or two because it gets thirsty fast in the basket. Deadheading is a must...a daily quieting chore. It gets only about 3 hours of direct sunlight, and seems to love the edges of shade on our deck.

Positive htop On May 1, 2006, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This trailing torenia loves the heat and survives our hot Texas summers when other torenias die back. It is hardy to 28F.
The 'Summer Wave' was developed by Suntory Ltd. and licensed by Bear Creek Gardens. It is a cross between the typical torenia and a creeping native species. It can be used in hanging baskets, window boxes and other containers. In landscape beds, it makes a greatr groundcover. Plants reach a height of 6-12 inches and have a spread of 14-16 inches. The blooms are larger than the blooms of regular torenia.

Green Cove Springs, Florida