Petunia, Multiflora Petunia
Petunia 'Dolce Flambe'

Genus: Petunia (peh-TEWN-ya) (Info)
Cultivar: Dolce Flambe
Additional cultivar information:(aka Dolcissima Flambe)

Not Applicable

Meshoppen, Pennsylvania

Knoxville, Tennessee

Lafayette, Tennessee

On Jul 10, 2012, terriergal from Hutchinson, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

I've grown these three years from seed purchased from Park Seed. The Flambe is my favorite color. (I have done all three colors the 2nd year) One thing I don't like is that they don't' seem to have the heavy perfume that blue vein (Blue Daddy) or the dark blue or white petunias have. But they sure do look nice. I do like the variegated nature and how unique each bloom is even on the same plant. It reminds me of a watercolor painting of a Victorian garden.

I've never had much trouble getting them to germinate, at least not more trouble than I have with other things... fighting off mold and mildew on the growing medium in the house in the winter is always a battle, as well as getting good light on the seedlings. I can't fault Park Seed for those things.

On Feb 21, 2010, chemistmom from Knoxville, TN wrote:

I have grown this petunia for two years, both from purchased and collected seeds and consider this my favorite petunia. It has done well in a dry year and in an unusually wet year. The germination rate is high and seedlings produced sturdy plants that thrive in planters on my hot deck. Even when severely munched on by groundhogs, the plants rebounded vigorously. I now spray a pepper emulsion on the plants about every week to keep the pests away. The plants grown from collected seeds do not seem to retain same colors--more plain red and tan--and are not as spectacular as purchased seeds. This year I have planted more purchased seeds (from Park) and 10 days after planting, the seeds are sprouting well and off to a good start. I highly recommend this for a full sun exposure.

On Jul 27, 2009, PinetopPlanter from Auburn Four Corners, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

If I could grow only one kind of petunia, the dolcissima series would be the one I'd choose, and I've grown many different types, both by seed and store-bought plants.

This is the third year I've grown this series of petunia, always from seed, and from a mixture of the 3 varieties purchased from Jung Seed and Nursery Co. The germination is terrific (I had them in a flat with other varieites and they were by far the fastest and most vigorous variety). They form stocky plants for me, and the colors are really beautiful. Mom thinks they are the most beautiful petunias. For us, 'Flambe' is a beautiful mixture of pastel pink, yellow and tan shades, which is complimented by the other two varieties offered in the mixture sold by Jung (I have not seen these varieties offered in a mi... read more

On Jul 6, 2009, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

On a good note it is a vigorous grower. On the downside, I have to call it "wishy-washy". Mine were all pale yellow with brownish streaks or some with tannish splotches. None of mine (out of 16 plants) were the vibrant peach/coral color or have even had any on them. Purchased from Park Seed, so don't be fooled by their ad. I do have them in baskets with hot pink wave petunias and they do look OK with the hot pink but can think of MANY others that would be nicer.

On Jan 24, 2006, laniard from Iowa City, IA wrote:

I grew both the Dolce Flambe and the Dolce Fragolino varieties. For those whose complaint is that the blooms were too pale, I would definitely encourage growing the Fragolinos. They are an absolutely stunning fushchia (the new blooms, especially, which gradually fade to a medium pink). I was pleased with the Flambes, as far as the vigor of growth and number of blooms and very little need for dead-heading, but I do agree that the blossoms were less vivid than I expected. On the other hand, I actually had one "rebellious" Flambe plant whose blooms were not the typical blend of the pink and yellow shades, but was almost like a picotee--the pink and cream were quite distinct...so all in all an interesting year, but I will most likely seek out and grow only the Fragolinos this spring for the vi... read more

On Jan 4, 2006, sacredplants from Wickliffe, OH wrote:

I was also disappointed with the Dolce Flambe. The germination rate was poor and they didn't grow very vigorously. I guess I just expected more from Park Seed!

On Jan 4, 2006, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have been hesitant to post my negative comments here for fear it was an isolated thing. I see I am not alone in my disappointment.
These petunias look so very drab, dull and lifeless- nothing like the pictures. The plants themselves never looked full and healthy and had a pale, anemic green color. I had poor germination the first time and got seeds replaced. The 2nd time the germ rate was a bit better.
I did not think there was such a thing as an ugly petunia but now I know better. I would not recommend anyone waste their time and money buying or growing these.

On Aug 3, 2005, orange_knickers from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Very profuse blooms, but very bland in color. Nothing like the catalogs advertise. Cut back, they rebound VERY quickly and I had great germination. I just can't get over how washed out the color really is. Even in the cool of spring or heat of summer. I won't grow them again unless the seeds comes from another source. Stick with the bold colors of regular Petunias. P_____ Seed company has been very unhelpful in telling anyone who has had the same experience, what went wrong with these seeds, and of the seeds in the Dolci series for that matter.

On Jul 31, 2005, meadowgarden from Rockford, IL (Zone 4b) wrote:

The germination rate is not very high. I have really enjoyed the colors and they have done very well in the garden. They do not need pinching or deadheading. I did pinch them once. I will definately grow them again.

On Jul 16, 2005, mysticwill from Brookhaven, PA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I was disapinted in this plant - it is not as vigerous a bloomer as other types of petunia. And the color is very washed out looking- not at all like the picture advertized by the company I purchase from (Parks). I had a lower germination rate with this one as well. A nice plant but NOT what I was expecting. Also this is a hybrid- so if you collect seed- it will not come true. Although - I may nayway- just to see what mom and Dad look like! LOL!