Togo Thunbergia, Bengal Clock Vine

Thunbergia togoensis

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Thunbergia (thun-BER-jee-uh) (Info)
Species: togoensis

Annapolis, Maryland

Beaumont, Texas

Mont Belvieu, Texas

On Mar 1, 2012, theplayfulkitty from Winter Park, FL wrote:

The shrub variety shown at the bottom is called Thunbergia Erecta (King's Mantle)

On May 14, 2009, pinke_paints from Houston, TX wrote:

Love this plant! I bought it several years ago in Houston, Texas. It was labelled "Dark Knight" Thunbergia. The photos are confusing as the top 2 clearly show it is a vine with light green leaves and the bottom photo has dark stems and small dark green leaves. I have the same plant as the bottom one.

On Jun 14, 2007, derbeh from Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

i grew this plant in a courtyard under the partial shade of an australian tree fern. it did very well, and bloomed consistently. the blue was unlike any other i've seen. dark cobalt and neon.

On Jan 18, 2005, PudgyMudpies from Stockton, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

There is not alot of information available on this rare plant, it is often mistaken for one of the other thunbergia's. It is a beautiful shrub that puts out striking blue flowers that are almost electric or neon in color.
I have grown these for 2 years and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Mine have not gotten more then 3 ft in height, but that could change with age. As they mature and flower on a regular basis, I will update the information.

Edited to clarify for pinke_paints, the top 2 pictures that I posted are NOT vines, they are small shrubs, very erect, the vines and leaves you mention are the vine fence BEHIND this shrub. Sorry for the misconception. In the 3rd picture I posted the leaves of 4 of my Thunbergias that I had growing, that may help you more with l... read more