PlantFiles: Pumpkin
Cucurbita maxima 'Big Moon'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: maxima (MAKS-ih-muh) (Info)
Cultivar: Big Moon

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Type:
Pumpkin (winter)

111 to 120 days

Mature Skin Color:
Orange

Size:
35 to 100 pounds (16 to 45 kg)
More than 100 pounds (45 kg)

Habit:
Vining

Open Pollinated

By District826
Thumbnail #1 of Cucurbita maxima by District826

Positive District826 On Mar 19, 2008, District826 from Frostproof, FL wrote:

"110 days. This gigantic pumpkin is the classic prizewinner at fairs and contents. Well-grown fruits often exceed 150 pounds -- sometimes by quite a lot! Yet the tender flesh is quite good for cooking, too. To grow the largest fruit, remove all but one from the vine early in the growing season." - http://www.Parkseed.com

I got a packet of seeds from Park Seed for the Big Moon for my son, who loves pumpkin (and all the goodies Mommy whips up using pumpkin). This is my first attempt in YEARS at growing a pumpkin, I think I was a child under the age of 10 last time I grew one. Of course, my son is helping too. The packet came with 10 seeds, which we started indoors. Sadly, only one actually sprouted, which is unsusal given the quality I have always had with Parks Seed... however, that one plant has taken off... big time! It's about 3 weeks old, we transplanted it at about a week after sprouting since it was SO big already in that week. The leaves are HUGE and fuzzy, almost spikey. We have a ton of buds on it, and you can see the curly little vines starting. My son and I are very, very amused with our plant. We will keep you updated on how it does! I hope to post some pictures of our young pumpkin plant soon! Once we have Pumpkins this fall, I'm sure we'll have plenty of seeds to share! =)

Neutral Farmerdill On Jan 20, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A big punkin! A golden -orange 40-200 lb. show pumpkin available from Bunton's Seed. Allow only one or two fruits per vine. Introduced in 1978 by Petoseed (Seminis) PVP

Frostproof, Florida