Boston Fern
Nephrolepis exaltata 'Tiger Fern'

Family: Polypodiaceae
Genus: Nephrolepis (nef-roh-LEP-iss) (Info)
Species: exaltata (eks-all-TAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Tiger Fern
Additional cultivar information:(PP15315; aka Tiger Fern)
Hybridized by Hendarto
Registered or introduced: 2004

Ferns

Partial to Full Shade

Inconspicuous/none

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Patented

Memphis, Tennessee

Port Arthur, Texas

negative

On Oct 16, 2012, marksgrdn from Stockton, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

i just bought one of these TIGER BOSTON FERNS. the girl didnt seem to know much about it, but i was sure interested in it. this thing is a monster. found it at a small nursery out in the country. im hoping to keep it outdoors for the winter under the patio roof. it really dwarfs my rabbits foot fern like you wouldnt believe. i'll try to post a pic as well. if it starts to take a nose dive, i will bring in it for the remainder of the winter.

On Jul 19, 2011, mydirtynails from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

My Mother lives in LA, CA and in her shaded enclosed patio she has an invasive amount of boston ferns that are so thick that they partially block the cement walkway. I've tried cutting them back but that made them just grow thicker. I assume they propagate by rhizomes. Does anyone have suggestions on how to thin these pesky ferns without have to complete renovate the entire soil bed?

On Oct 19, 2010, hcsurprise from Memphis, TN wrote:

This has been the second summer for this fern. I've had it in a pot under trees so it has gotten bright light only. The summer here in Memphis has been extremely hot and dry but it has done fine and is pretty pot bound now. I took it inside this past winter where it survived okay in the house. I let it dry out between watering. It is a really pretty fern with it's variegation and has not been a problem to grow.

On Mar 16, 2006, Miriam1 from Chadds Ford, PA wrote:

Found 4 of these plants at the local Walmarts today for under $5.00 each (late March '06)....3 qt containers, foliage over 12" wide and high, quite healthy.I was dazzled by the attractive varigation and price.

Will try and report later in the season, form and habit.

On Dec 11, 2005, CastIronPlant22 from Lompoc, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant is very very awesome! Although its been hard to grow, sometimes, I find the little leaves just falling off daily. The color is amazing, and it seems to grow pretty fast. I am thinking about giving it to my friend who has a greenhouse, and I hope it will do better there. I rarely see this, but I have seen it at Home Depot, mixed in with the house plants.

On Oct 27, 2005, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Too bad it doesn't survive even the mildest of winters, unlike its thuggish cousin, regular boston fern. Markings are very striking.

On Apr 12, 2005, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Striking yellow-green variegation in stripes and splashes highlights the fronds. Excellent in hanging baskets or containers. Medium light. Moderately moist soil. Home temps 65F-75F. Hardy to 40F