Baboon Flower
Babiana stricta

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Babiana (ba-bee-AN-uh) (Info)
Species: stricta (STRIK-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Gladiolus strictus

Huntington Beach, California

Vista, California

Grayland, Washington

On Apr 7, 2011, folypelarks wrote:

I had these plants few years ago but the corms died from some kind of decay.Although I collected some seeds of them which I totally forgot somewhere in my house..
This year I found them and sow them on cotton and they germinated.I was very surprised because I thought that the seeds were too old - They looked wrinkled and not pellet-like like the time when I collected them.I am gradually transplanting the germs into a rich substrate and they are growing slowly, but well.Does anyone has experience with Babiana stricta seedlings?..I am wondering in which year they are going to produce flowers?

On May 10, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Origin: South Africa - This bulb produces fans of pleated, sword-shaped leaves which die back in the late spring. Spikes of varying colored flowers bloom in the spring. Full sun, do not water after the plant dies back.

On Apr 27, 2004, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

This plant is always described as ''evergreen'', however mine are all planted (Zone 10) in areas I do not water and in most Summers the leaves die back as soon as the hot weather sets in. This doesn't seem to have any adverse effect on the plants, which regrow the following Winter and flower prolifically. They last for several weeks. I love the flowers for their depth of colour. They do better in this garden than the coloured freesias but I have never noticed any scent while the freesias can be smelt from yards away. I'll look for it next season.

On Aug 11, 2001, Sis wrote:

Interesting,early-summer-blooming bulb produces as many as 20 sweetly scented,1 1/2" flowers incombinations of blue,rose or pink' The blooms last for 3-5 weeks'

Hardy in zones 8-10 and in zone 6 if mulched over winter.
In colder areas,dig in fall and store frost-free in peat or vermiculite to plant again the following spring'

Prefers sun.