PlantFiles: Candelabra Plant, False Cactus, Dragon Bones, Elkhorn
Euphorbia lactea

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: lactea (lak-TAY-uh) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Pale Yellow

Succulent

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

By Thaumaturgist

By bamagirl35973
Thumbnail #6 of Euphorbia lactea by bamagirl35973

By SERU
Thumbnail #7 of Euphorbia lactea by SERU

Positive Whitepointer19 On Feb 17, 2010, Whitepointer19 from Elizabeth, IN wrote:

I love this plant. I was given one a couple years ago and its grows like a weed. I am constantly pruining it and spreading it around to people. It likes a bit more water in the summer than I would have first thought and give it a good drenching weekly. I may sprtiz it a few times throughout the winter, but other than that leave it mostly to itself. Ive noticed that it is prone to wind and sun burn so make sure to ease it outside as I do come summer.Quite easy to propagate through cuttings. I lop a branch off where it meets the main stalk, sit it off to the side and let it callus over for a week, and stick it in well drained soil. Other than that makes a great asthetic plant and for me does well on minimal care. Happy Succulenting ! (Forgot to mention, sap & plant are poisonous, Ive heard mild-to-moderate,but who wants to risk it, just a heads up)

Neutral DracoVolans On Aug 19, 2009, DracoVolans from Crestline, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

There's a big, healthy beastie that looks a lot like this critter. I'm pretty sure it's a Candleabra Plant, but hers is a good three feet high, and I'm wondering if it gets taller. Hers has been there for a good ten years, though, so maybe it's at it's full growth. Now, it's just SPREADING and she has to prune it, soon. I took a couple of fingers (difficult without gloves, I'll tell you), and I'm hoping I can get them to root and grow. :)

Neutral BayAreaTropics On Apr 30, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I would call this a zone 10b plant. A single 32f night here killed a potted plant. There is an all white variety of this plant-sunburns easily i was told.

Neutral cactus_lover On Nov 17, 2005, cactus_lover from FSD
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

Shrub to 2 cm tall with 3 or 4 angled dark green branches with paler band;rudimentary,caducous leaves.

Hayward, California