PlantFiles: Pumpkin
Cucurbita pepo 'Winter Luxury Pie'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: pepo (PEP-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Winter Luxury Pie

Type:
Pumpkin (winter)

91 to 100 days

Mature Skin Color:
Yellow
Orange

Size:
4 to 6 pounds (2 to 3 kg)
7 to 11 pounds (3 to 5 kg)

Habit:
Vining

Thumbnail #1 of Cucurbita pepo by Angel_D

Thumbnail #2 of Cucurbita pepo by Angel_D

Thumbnail #3 of Cucurbita pepo by Angel_D

By carotcruncha
Thumbnail #4 of Cucurbita pepo by carotcruncha

Neutral Angel_D On Jul 2, 2008, Angel_D from Quincy, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

DH and I are growing this pumpkin this year. So far it is doing fantastic! I'll try to post more later in the season, along with some pictures.

Update on Nov 15 - we only managed to get a few mature pumpkins off the vines in August before a squash bug army devoured the plants (along with our other squash plants). We had these planted at a community garden so we weren't on hand regularly to attempt fending the squash bugs off.

I'll update again later when I've had a chance to cook with them. I'm in the middle of baking them and processing them into puree. I'll post again once I've actually used them in cooking. I hope they're worth it, because processing them is a lot of work!

Positive summiteer On Jan 18, 2007, summiteer from Summit, NY wrote:

I grew Winter Luxury pumpkins in the far northern Catskill Mtns. of upstate NY for more than a decade. It is my favorite pumpkin. I garden at a 2,500 ft. elevation in a locale with only 65 sure frost free days. Winter Luxury is a great baking pumpkin, makes terrific pumpkin cheesecake, pies, puddings, muffins, and pancakes. I rate it up there with old fashioned Buttercup winter squash for good eating, and is worth the space if you have it.
Winter Luxury is only a middling keeper but requires a long season and some warm nights to mature well. I coddle them and keep row coverings handy come late August. In my short season growing environment I must set out plants or I won't get pumpkins.

Neutral Farmerdill On Jan 22, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A pie pumpkin.