PlantFiles: Belize Sage, Smooth-leaf Sage
Salvia miniata

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: miniata (min-ee-AH-tuh) (Info)

» View all varieties of Salvias

Thumbnail #6 of Salvia miniata by mjsponies

By dermoidhome
Thumbnail #7 of Salvia miniata by dermoidhome

Positive Siirenias On Jul 16, 2013, Siirenias from Oak Park, CA wrote:

This plant has been a surprise for me.

I bought it on a whim, and planted it near a leak. Some time after it established, I fixed the leak and this sage was left with dry ground and afternoon shade. I expected it to wilt readily, but it flowered instead.

It gets weekly water and a few treats, but it is doing well. It's flowering slowly (a month or so in between), but otherwise it seems to be handling scorching heat and decidedly dry conditions without any fuss. I'm hoping for more vigorous flowering in fall.

Positive akitakitty On Mar 26, 2013, akitakitty from Gonzales, LA wrote:

Love this salvia for all the reasons below and just because I love ALL salvias. My only beef is I have to replace it every year. Have never been able to over-winter. Does anybody know if it will survive with layer of thick mulch in 9a zone?

Positive dermoidhome On Apr 24, 2010, dermoidhome from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

This is one of my favorite Salvias with attractive foliage and shade tolerant. It did not prove to be hardy through our record-breaking winter in Baton Rouge, LA this year, sadly. (Zone 8B)

Positive bigthicket On Oct 5, 2009, bigthicket from Houston, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

I agree, this is a wonderful Salvia in Houston in light shade. It's the top hummingbird attractor in my yard from August through October. It is a pleasant 2-3 ft. high "filler" with deep green smooth foliage when not in bloom. It rooted very easily in a few weeks from cuttings, and I "sprigged" it all over the back yard. I also like the intensely carmine-red, fuzzy, cylindrical blooms...I can spot them from 20 yards away on my porch!

Positive bohnnco On Sep 19, 2009, bohnnco from Houston, TX wrote:

I am surprised there are no comments on this wonderful saliva. It does very well in Houston in light shade and it is rather thirsty until well established. It will wilt in heavy sun but bounces right back with plenty fo water. The deep red blooms are like stop lights for the ruby throated hummingbird that migrate through our area each fall. The folliage is also very nice/different. This is a must-have saliva for light shade in zone 9. It will die back with a freeze but appears to be root hardy.

Glendora, California