Butternut Squash, Winter Squash 'Long of Naples'

Cucurbita moschata

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: moschata (MOSS-kuh-ta) (Info)
Cultivar: Long of Naples

Butternut (winter)

Pumpkin (winter)

91 to 100 days

Mature Skin Color:

20 to 35 pounds (9 to 16 kg)

Open Pollinated

Leetonia, Ohio

Zanesville, Ohio

Salem, South Carolina

On Nov 7, 2011, TucsonTomato from Tucson, AZ wrote:

I grew almost 500 pounds of this variety from 2 plants in about 200 square feet. My wife, children and I ate 3 of them. The texture and flavor is very good - even at the very large size. Unfortunately it is difficult to persuade many people to buy a 25 pound squash, so unless you want to have a squash feast or give a lot away you may think twice before growing this one. Should you have problems with Squash vine Borers you may want to grow this variety for zuchinni. I would suggest that, if anyone does not want to deal with the amount of fruit this variety produces to use them as summer squash. My experience has been that many of these squash will taste like a supurb zuchinni and remain tender up to around 15 pounds. However, I gave a 15 lb one of these "summer squash" to a friend and it to... read more

On Oct 31, 2009, detabern from Elk Grove, CA wrote:

These vines traveled about thirty feet, with beautiful green and white leaves. I started the seeds in March in a flat (I live in No. CA), then planted it into the garden during the first week of April. It does need a long growing season, as the first fruit was ready in October. Four plants produced eight squash, all over 25 lbs, and we ate more as summer squash when they were young. As summer squash they are pale green, crisp and sweet, but as winter squash they are fabulously rich and delicious. I will definitely grow this one again!

On Jan 25, 2005, bonnielass from Salem, SC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I found these at an Amish community in Kentucky. They are very easy to grow. Each squash provides an abundance of fruit for pumpkin pies or just baking with brown sugar and butter.

On Jan 24, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Large, oblong-butternut shaped fruit, can weigh 20-35 lbs. The flesh is bright orange, flavor is superb, rich and is very sweet. The skin is deep green, turning tan in storage. These are attractive squash and great for areas with warm, long seasons, A good heirloom for home or market growers. A beautiful very old Italian heirloom, was listed in America by Fearing Burr in 1863, very rare in the USA.