PlantFiles: Pumpkin, Winter Squash
Cucurbita moschata 'Seminole Pumpkin'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: moschata (MOSS-kuh-ta) (Info)
Cultivar: Seminole Pumpkin

Type:
Pumpkin (winter)

91 to 100 days

Mature Skin Color:
Cream

Size:
2 to 3 pounds (1 to 2 kg)

Habit:

Thumbnail #5 of Cucurbita moschata by sazji

Thumbnail #6 of Cucurbita moschata by sazji

Thumbnail #7 of Cucurbita moschata by sazji

Positive Michaelp On Jun 20, 2014, Michaelp from Glendale, UT (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is my favorite winter squash, it is of good quality, prolific , and keeps longer then the others. I had one on my desk for 8 months, and it was still good. It will produce for me when all others fail, it will root where ever the vines touch damp earth, it is resistant to powdery mildew, and defeats the bugs by out running them.

Positive sazji On Aug 24, 2010, sazji from Istanbul
Turkey wrote:

I grew 6 varieties of winter squash this year and for productivity, it's a tie between this one and "Bungkan." I have a dead apricot tree and having heard about its climbing abilities, I planted "Seminole" in a deep raised bed with enriched soil at the base of the tree. It needed a little help but once it got to a point where there was always something to grab onto, it climbed high into the branches. Contrary to what I've read, the developing fruits have not pulled the vines out of the tree at all. It was a bit late to start producing female flowers but seemed to appreciate our unusually long bout of heat and high humidity. The first fruit set is now maturing; even the unripe ones are extremely hard; the fingernail test is definitely no good for this one.

Neutral Laflora On May 19, 2009, Laflora from DeLand, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

The vine was a vigorous grower that withstood high summer in Florida, but it didn't produce many fruits. I had to hand-pollinate just to get a few, even though my yard attracts a decent collection of pollinators. I had to harvest my few fruits at the green stage because a freeze was coming in. The harvested squash remained good longer than any squash I've ever grown or bought -- at least a couple of months. The taste was very mild, almost bland. I'd try this one again, to see if I can get more fruit and a more intense flavor if vine-ripened. I'm wondering if different seed sources would produce different results for this heirloom.

Neutral Farmerdill On Jan 24, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

The wild squash of the Everglades. The round, lightly ribbed 3 lb. squash have tan skin. The sweet flesh is deep orange, dry and of good quality. The productive vines are resistant to insects and disease. Found growing wild in Florida by the early settlers, it can now be only found in remote parts of the Everglades.

Deland, Florida