PlantFiles: Zucchini, Courgette, Summer Squash
Cucurbita pepo 'Cocozelle'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: pepo (PEP-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Cocozelle

Light Green
Medium Green
Striped

Size:
Less than 1 pound (0.5 kg)

Habit:

Thumbnail #6 of Cucurbita pepo by DrDoolotz

Thumbnail #7 of Cucurbita pepo by DrDoolotz

Positive kapiticook On Apr 29, 2013, kapiticook from Wellington
New Zealand wrote:

For several years I have been growing Cocozelle zucchini and I always take great delight at the speed at which they grow and at the robust nature of the plant.

The texture of the fruit is superb, the flavour delicious, and the fact that the seeds are small means the whole thing can be eaten either sauteed, stir fried, grated in a loaf, blended in a green smoothie, raw in salads or baked in a cake! Of all the zuke types that I grow, this is a firm favorite.

Negative spaghetina On Apr 9, 2011, spaghetina from San Carlos, CA wrote:

Absolutely the grossest tasting squash I've ever eaten, which surprised me, since I've heard good things about it for several years now (which is about as long as I've been gardening - and that is to say, not long). Production was decent, and the plants weren't especially unwieldy, but each and every squash picked tasted decidedly "earthy", to put it politely. Less politely stated, these tasted like dirt. Literally. Texture was as one would expect a zucchini to be - nothing noteworthy.

Won't be growing again, and instead, am moving on to Costata Romanesco, which I understand produces less, but is purported to have a flavor superior to all. Fingers crossed!

Positive Pitcom On Mar 26, 2011, Pitcom from Avondale, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Another excellent grower. When picked young, these have a very nutty flavor and taste wonderful when roasted in good oil. Still holds flavor well when it becomes larger and is my choice zucchini for making zucchini parmesan.

Positive suzy_qu3 On Jan 2, 2011, suzy_qu3 from East Chatham, NY wrote:

Great all around variety. We had quite huge fruit with tiny seeds and "young" flavor. We stuffed a 12 pounder for dinner - more than enough for a family or five with one squash. Sweet and delicious.

Neutral earmbruster On Dec 29, 2008, earmbruster from Batavia, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

A great tasting Zuke, but very attractive to the squash bugs. Lost all plants each year I planted this variety. Won't plant it again, but I'll miss the taste!

Positive DrDoolotz On Jun 25, 2006, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is my first ripe zucchini in 2006 in zone 5a. It has a nice mild flavour and a pretty striping on the squashes as they grow. I like to pick them small so the ones I have eaten have been between 5 and 9 inches long. They are prolific producers for me. Also, the squash grow very quickly once fertilized - they are ready to pick in about 4-5 days from the time they get started, for me. It would be longer if you wanted them to be really big zucchini. I am growing them in raised beds. No special treatment - just some mushroom compost in the raised beds, along with topsoil.

Neutral Farmerdill On Jan 28, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 60 day old time striped cultivar.

Clovis, California
Los Angeles, California (2 reports)
Oakhurst, California