PlantFiles: Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe uniflora

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Kalanchoe (kal-un-KOH-ee) (Info)
Species: uniflora (yoo-nee-FLOR-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Bryophyllum uniflorum

By butterflybyrob
Thumbnail #1 of Kalanchoe uniflora by butterflybyrob

By lisamr
Thumbnail #2 of Kalanchoe uniflora by lisamr

Positive DracoVolans On Aug 3, 2009, DracoVolans from Crestline, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I make a routine of rescuing plants (or at least cuttings) from my Mother-In-Law. She is a fine lady and loves plants, but they get forgotten a lot and dry out horribly. I found this one near death in her porch and asked if I could get a cutting of it to see if I could grow it (and watered the poor languisihing parent, of course). I had no idea what it was, but she called it "Coral Bells"- a lovely name.

This is a very open looking plant, with attractive oval leaves with slight crenallations on the edges that sometimes go reddish, like many kalanchoes, and the stems go a purplish red in strong light (I may have it in too bright a sun, but it seems to be doing ok)... The leaves seem to be spread apart quite a bit, but fill in if given the right conditions. :)

The cuttings rooted quickly and established happily in the pot I put them in. They're filling out now, and starting to trail attractively in their semi-sunny corner of the baker's rack I have them in- and a local spider has found it a happy home. I have another cutting that got broken off from the parent and I'm rooting that one to put in it's own pot soon. :)

You want to try a cutting of this, just clip a slip near the base of it's branch, making sure there are nodes and leaves. Gently remove any leaves that might be under water when you put it in solution. Dip that end in rooting-compound or vitamin B1 solution (make sure to dilute it well or you'll "burn" the cutting), then place it in water with a little Schultz's plant food for in a protected area with a little sun for about two weeks. You should get rootlets forming by then (I did, anyway). Then you just plant it regular potting-soil and with even a little care, you should get a vigourous, drought-resistant plant with gorgeous red tubular flowers.

I hear the hummingbirds like them!

Positive lisamr On Jan 31, 2006, lisamr from Roseville, CA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Great winter blooming plant that is loaded with flowers! I have seen the hummingbirds feed from it as well. It seems to handle frost fine since the one I have is an outside plant and doesn't seem to be affected by the weather in my area Zone 8.

Tucson, Arizona