Satsuma Orange, Unshu Orange 'Brown's Select'

Citrus reticulata subsp. unshiu

Family: Rutaceae (roo-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Citrus (SIT-rus) (Info)
Species: reticulata subsp. unshiu

Kure Beach, North Carolina

La Porte, Texas

Norfolk, Virginia

On Jan 17, 2014, jhprince from Norfolk, VA wrote:

It's a great tree for Se Virginia gardens too, as we hover between 8A-8B historically. Other citrus varieties are also great for very Se Va.

On Jul 6, 2011, rickybob from Dallas, TX wrote:

My Brown Select has been in the ground in Dallas Texas for two winters with no real damage. Last winter in Dallas was extreme and many supposedly cold hardy plants didn't make it, so I consider the Brown Select one that can be grown here successfully.
I have another citrus planted outside that I thought was a Satsuma, but it turned out to be a Meyer's Lemon and it also survived last winter's freeze.

On May 18, 2011, tropicallaporte from La Porte, TX wrote:

This is my first year with my Brown Select. It was over wintered in the pot it had when I bought it. I planted it after our last freeze of winter and today it is about 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide and covered with well over 30 fruits ranging in size from 1" to 3". It has produced 3 seperate flower periods with each one having produced some fruit. I have noticed I really have to be careful with watering, otherwise I am very happy with this tree.

On Feb 14, 2011, lahomesteader from Loranger, LA wrote:

This is supposedly one of the most cold-hardy of the satsumas. Fruit is similar, but a little larger and sweeter, than the Owari. I have grown these for the last 14 years and have had no freeze damage in zone 8b/8a (temps down to ~20F). Fruit is almost seedless, seems to get sweeter with the onset of colder weather. Have had leaf-miner infestations several years, but the effects on the tree's vigor seems minimal. My all-time favorite citrus tree and fruit.

On Dec 16, 2009, go4broek from Cibolo, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This orange has a thick, easy to peel rind and is basically seedless! None of the ones I ate had more than two seeds per fruit.