PlantFiles: Zucchini, Courgette, Summer Squash
Cucurbita pepo 'Costata Romanesco'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: pepo (PEP-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Costata Romanesco

Type:
Zucchini (summer)

51 to 60 days

Mature Skin Color:
White
Medium Green

Size:
4 to 6 pounds (2 to 3 kg)
7 to 11 pounds (3 to 5 kg)

Habit:

Thumbnail #5 of Cucurbita pepo by PurplePansies

By tem
Thumbnail #6 of Cucurbita pepo by tem

Positive elsutor On May 19, 2014, elsutor from Penn Hills, PA wrote:

Huge, susceptible to mildew, and I abhor SVB, which adore this plant! Nonetheless, this variety has won me over. It is worth it all!

Absolutely the tastiest zucchini I have ever had!

This year I will be growing it again, monitoring carefully for SVB intrusions, battering flowers, cursing the thing when it gets huge. It does resist SVB and I have cut the worms out with (mostly) success. I am going to try using DE this year to ward off the buggers.

I am tempted to try to grow it vertically with a large tomato support, as well, to conserve garden space, increase air circulation, and to be able to monitor for bugs a little better.

Positive BettinaW On Jul 28, 2009, BettinaW from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

I have grown some version of this squash for over 10 years. I get my seeds from Johnny’s and a packet lasts 3 – 4 years. And each year I search for a similar tasting squash without the huge footprint others have already commented on. Without success. I have found no way to control the growth although it is pretty tough and every so often I just hack it back.

It produces fewer fruit than other summer squash but you can let them get larger without losing flavor or having them get seedy. You can stuff and bake them and they freeze beautifully for winter sauces. In a pasta sauce they retain their flavor and crunchy texture. This year I tried a small round squash with a civilized habit but the taste was not there so I planted another hill of Costata. Maybe a 3 month growing season will cause it to not take over so much real estate in the garden.

If you have the room try this squash.

Neutral JodyC On Nov 15, 2006, JodyC from Palmyra, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

The name means Ribbed Roman...it was not bred for eating but for the numerous blossoms for battering and frying...it's a delicacy in Italy.Can be grown for a winter squash at about 90 days or a summer squash at about 60 days.Full grown squashes can reach 2 feet..is praised for being tender and tasty even when large.

Positive kabocha On Jul 13, 2006, kabocha from Alpine, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

The only zucchini I want to grow - because of the flavor. Last year I gave it too much manure/coffee grounds and it became too huge with scanty production. I had planted it in a bed and tried to get it to grow up to save space - it definitely did not want to do this - heavy and pendulous, awkward. This year I gave it its own space, less rich food and we have more squash. I notice that it does not get powdwey mildew. A great vegetable - cook with olive oil and garlic.

Positive PurplePansies On Jul 8, 2005, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Costata di Romanesco is an heirloom Italian squash. (zucchini). It is said to be the best tasting squash in the world. It is also a prolific producer of male blossoms (for frying/eating etc.). A large sprawling plant. Not compact at all. Easy to grow as other zucchini. I've noticed no problems on mine. Fast maturing as other zucchini as well. Fruits are striped and dark green. :)

Positive QueenB On May 26, 2005, QueenB from Shepherd, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a huge plant with huge squash to go with it. The great thing is that the fruits can get quite large and still be very tender. The only drawbacks that I can see is if you have very limited space to garden since the leaves can be up to 15 in. wide and 18 in. long, and it is a low-yielding variety. Excellent flavor.

Neutral Farmerdill On Jan 30, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 52 day Italian zucchini available from Harvest Moon.

Emerald Lake Hills, California