Variegated Daylily
Hemerocallis 'Malja'

Family: Hemerocallidaceae (hem-er-oh-kal-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hemerocallis (hem-er-oh-KAL-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Malja
Additional cultivar information:(PP14221; aka Golden Zebra)
Hybridized by Malan
Registered or introduced: 2003
» View all varieties of Daylilies

Patented

Midseason (M)

Flower Size:

Small (3" to 4.5" diameter)

Blooming Habit:

Plano, Texas

Ogden, Utah

negative

On May 7, 2015, snowmanmaker from Maple Grove, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

This isn't rated hardy in Minnesota, but I've had one for 10 years. It does not grow very quickly or bloom much, but I wanted the foliage so that works for me.

I just added 5 more last year and they are also coming up just fine. They are all in beds closer to the house--up to 20 feet away rather than out in the open, so maybe that makes a difference.

On Apr 14, 2012, bluecatcxl from Farr West, UT wrote:

This is one of the best variegated grassy looking plants I have grown. I don't particularly like the flowers, as they detract in my opinion from the attractive foliage. The flowers are a deep saturated golden yellow similar to the ever popular Stella d'Oro, perhaps a bit more toward orange. Grows well in Utah in full sun or part shade, although it has been difficult to procure. The variegation is more striking and clear than most true grasses I have grown. Definitely one I would recommend.

On Nov 24, 2009, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant produces the shortest scapes ever on a Daylily. The blooms literally sit down almost on top of the crown.

On Jan 23, 2008, upsdaylilyguy from Louisville, KY wrote:

I have tried this plant three times. Brought this in spring 2005 by fall it was dead. Got another one to plant that fall it did not come up in spring 2006. What the heck ordered one more for spring it did not last long said the heck with it.....
They are other daylilies planted there that is doing fine.

On Jan 16, 2008, NoLawns from Warrenville, IL wrote:

I purchased this plant spring of 2007. Plant didn't grow at all, didn't flower. Seems to be dying, yet all the other daylilies there thrive. Will update next year.

On Jul 6, 2007, NewYorkEunuch from New Woodstock, NY wrote:

I purchased this plant summer of 2006. It has remained true to form and is doing pretty good in my garden... would do better if it wasn't overshadowed by some of my other Daylilies that have had a growth spirt this year. It is a Diploid... I figured this out by trying Diploid and Tetraploid pollen on it and also using its pollen on both Diploids and Tetraploids. The only thing that set pod was with Diploids in either direction.

On Jun 5, 2007, seedpicker_TX from (Taylor) Plano, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

The blooms are small, and it is quite similar to stella de oro, except for the variegation in the leaves.
Many people have mistook this in my garden for variegated liriope. It DOES look a lot like it, same size and everything, except for when it blooms, lol...
:0)

On May 27, 2006, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Zone 8b, Southeast, TX
Daylily Golden Zebra (Hemerocalls Malja)

Height: 18 in and 2' wide

Foliage Habit: Emerges bright yellow in spring and keeps color all summer. Remains true to name, with no reversion to green (as some variegated plants will do).
Very tolerant of heat, humidity, drought, cold as other daylilies.

Bloom size: 3"

Bloom color: Golden yellow flowers that arrives all season (but most heavily in mid-season for me, June)

Hope my pic uploads correctly.