Ashe Magnolia, Ashe's Magnolia
Magnolia ashei

Family: Magnoliaceae
Genus: Magnolia (mag-NO-lee-a) (Info)
Species: ashei (ASH-ee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Magnolia macrophylla subsp. ashei
Synonym:Magnolia macrophylla var. ashei

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Atmore, Alabama

Fayetteville, Arkansas

Crawfordville, Florida

Land O Lakes, Florida

Orlando, Florida

Tallahassee, Florida (3 reports)

Cordele, Georgia

Inman, South Carolina

Loudon, Tennessee

Lexington, Virginia

On Dec 22, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This beautiful small tree stands out in the landscape. It has enormous, tropical-looking foliage 18-32" long that might almost be mistaken for a banana's. It also has showy fragrant white flowers 6-12" across in summer, but the leaves are this plant's major distinction.

Generally single-trunked but low branched, and nearly as wide as tall. The branches are coarse and brittle. It usually reaches 10-20' tall, but the national champion is 57' by 37'. Though a small tree, this needs some room to strut its stuff. It isn't a plant for small spaces.

This grows as an understory tree in the wild, and will still bloom well in considerable shade. It needs shelter from prevailing winds, as storms can shred the leaves and shatter branches.

This has been repo... read more

On Mar 29, 2010, DeenDixie from Fayetteville, AR wrote:

I planted my Ashe Magnolia 6 years ago in my zone 6B garden here in northwest Arkansas, on the northeast side of my house. It gets morning sun but is sheltered from the midday & afternoon sun and primary winds by the house. It was a 12 inch stick when I planted it, but now is approx 8 feet tall--- not bad for only 6 growing seasons. It has not bloomed yet, but I live in hope. Of all my plants, I consider it to be the crown jewel of my horticultural collection. Each spring I feed my Ashe Magnolia with 2 tree fertilizer stakes, and in dry periods I give it an extra splash of water. I recommend highly the Ashe Magnolia, and I hope to have one in my garden for the duration. Kind regards to U and yours.

On May 29, 2006, Butch388 from Youngstown, OH wrote:

I planted magnolia ashi 4 years ago on the hill in the back yard, which is a protected area with morning sun. It is going to bloom this year for the first time and it is doing fantastic for my zone 5. How is it that an endangered species can only exist in the pan-handle of Florida, but still survive in northern ohio? Great conversation plant

On Apr 8, 2006, mantis212 from Roslyn, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

One spring I purchased my Ashei, Magnolia mail-order it was 9-11" tall single trunk finger thick 1 gallon.
The neighborhood is old growth trees and evergreens, very sheltered. I planted in my front yard near my neighbors' blacktop driveway under a mature Oak so it gets full sun in the morning and afternoon.
The first leaves to pop out where shocking. They where very big even for size and shaped like a small chartreuse violins.
That winter I protected with a pile of oak leaves and an overturned 25 gallon nursery pot secured with plant stakes for the first rough NY cold season.
The next spring, I slowly looked under the pot and It was as green as could be! That year It's leaves became "full-size" chartreuse violins! By the end of the growing season It was one ... read more

On Mar 5, 2006, gabriellefsu from Tallahassee, FL wrote:

These native beauties are endangered. I currently have 3 growing in my yard, and they are all doing great. The bloom is a large, unique white flower that often weighs down the plant because it so heavy. In the winter, they shed all their leaves, but don't mistake this for a problem. They are slow growing, but well worth the effort!

On Apr 1, 2005, givemeliberti from Tallahassee, FL wrote:

I planted this endangered tree which is found only in the Florida Panhandle in the fall of 2005 and I have a beautiful 10 inch bloom on my (only) 1 foot tall tree. Partial shade and well-drained soil are required as well as a sheltered site since strong winds can shred the papery leaves and break the brittle branches. The flowers are showy, with several long creamy white petals with a little purple at the base and very fragrant. In the wild, the Ashe Magnolia grows in the understory on slopes of ravines often in association with American Hophornbeam, Two-winged Silverbells, and Red Buckeye.