Grevillea
Grevillea 'Red Hooks'

Family: Proteaceae (pro-tee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Grevillea (grev-ILL-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Hooks

Acton, California

Lakeside, California

Mission Viejo, California

Spring Valley, California

positive

On Sep 20, 2008, PeterNopper from Lakeside, CA wrote:

Beware of the advertised size of the Red Hooks. I wanted an 8 foot plant for my minimal maintenance landscape. Because this was for my front yard and I wanted it to establish quickly, I bought a 15 gallon and planted it three years ago.
The plant is now 11.5 feet tall and growing fast. The plant is beautiful, hardy and takes very little water. However it will now require pruning, which I was trying to avoid by choosing the right plant for the location.
The plant is in east county San Diego (hot and dry). Once established, it really does not need any water at all except during the hottest months of the summer. I have only trimmed the bottom 12 inches to get it off my driveway. I have submitted a picture for viewing.

On Oct 27, 2006, auburn_jungle from San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I planted a 'red hooks' that was being trained as a tree a year ago in the western wall of my garden and it has grown steadlily. I have not watered it all summer, as I'd read that the plant likes it dry, however now all the leaves in the center segment of the plant are yellowing and turning brown at the tips. Meanwhile healthy growth continures at the top and bottom portions of the plant. Not sure what to do. It was so very happy for a long time, but now I'm not sure.