Straightneck Squash, Summer Squash 'Tatume'

Cucurbita pepo

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: pepo (PEP-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Tatume

Straight-neck (summer)

Zucchini (summer)

41 to 50 days

Mature Skin Color:

Less than 1 pound (0.5 kg)

2 to 3 pounds (1 to 2 kg)

Open Pollinated

Lafayette, Louisiana

Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Boise City, Oklahoma

Portland, Texas

On Sep 29, 2015, froggies_girl from Ocean Springs, MS wrote:

Easy to start seeds indoors and transplant in warmer weather. Grew very quickly once transplanted! I was able to harvest a few, and they were very delicious steamed. Very tender, buttery flavor!
Susceptible to squash vine borer (almost killed my plants). Plants were "cleaned" and began to sprout new growth. However, when temps reached 90+, they went dormant.
It is now late September with lower temps, and plants have begun to grow again. Unfortunately, I think that anything that sprouts may not have time to fully ripen before cold weather sets in.
Next year, I plan to sow the plants on the East side of my house where there is afternoon shade. Hopefully, this may keep them from going "dormant" during the hot summer temps.

On Sep 23, 2011, lizardbreath from Boise City, OK (Zone 6a) wrote:

Our absolute favorite squash because we eat all we want at the tennis to baseball size, which tastes somewhat like zucchini, and then let some mature to small pumpkin size for winter squash. It is the best of both worlds. My family is not as crazy about them when they are mature but they are good fillings for casserole etc.
Last year they grew in the ground to eight or ten feet long so I never dreamed they would take over the world this year in a raised bed-some of the vines are twenty feet. Good thing I only planted two. They grow well on the ground or on a trellis and have a permanent home in my garden.

On Feb 1, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

45 days — A vining plant, the fruit can be harvested and eaten young (about 45 days) as a summer-type squash or left to mature as a winter squash. At the “summer” stage, harvest the green, round fruits when they are about the size of a baseball. They are unusually firm for a summer squash and have a fine flavor. Leave them on the vine and they will mature to a diameter of 6 to 8 inches and golden-yellow in color.