Pumpkin, Winter Squash
Cucurbita moschata 'Rumbo'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: moschata (MOSS-kuh-ta) (Info)
Cultivar: Rumbo

Type:

91 to 100 days

101 to 110 days

Mature Skin Color:

Cream

Size:

7 to 11 pounds (3 to 5 kg)

12 to 20 pounds (5 to 9 kg)

Habit:

Vining

Zucchini Yellow Mosaic Virus (ZYMV)

Cucumber mosaic virus (VMV)

Watermelon Mosaic Virus (WMR)

Powdery Mildew (PM)

Ashton, Nebraska

Drexel, North Carolina

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

On Jun 11, 2015, Angelina32310 from Tallahassee, FL wrote:

I love Rumbos, they resist the Squash vine borer by out running them and putting down roots at each leaf node. My main stalk will be dead after a few months from borers but the rooted vines will run 25' from the original roots and re root making squash all over the yard. Rumbo is so vigorous that it will cover anything within 10 to 15 feet from the original roots. I get about 80 to 100 lbs or 10 squash per plant. They keep about 5 months at room temperature. The flesh is dark orange, sweet and not stringy.

On Oct 18, 2010, OSuzannah from Durham, CA wrote:

Rumbo produced large yields of gorgeous squash in the hot summer interior valley of my Northern California garden. The plants were oblivious to disease and pests but I was so disappointed in the flavor. Compared to the sweet and highly flavored Buttercup and Butternut squash varieties I also grew, the Rumbos were very bland. The flavor just didn't match up to the description in the plant catalog. We won't be eating any more of them, but we should find good homes for the others with Halloween right around the corner.

On May 6, 2008, book_of_ruth from Raceland, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Prolific producer. The vines are vigorous. I trellised mine with field fencing and t-posts to conserve space. They are delicious, too! I've grown them for several years...excellent plant.

On Apr 15, 2006, PaperWhiteTulip from McAllen, TX (Zone 11) wrote:

This plant reminds me of pictures you see in storybooks...Lovely photo! I hope to maybe one day ordering a package of seeds and grow them for just being very unique lookin.

On Feb 2, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 100 day 10-15 lb hybrid cheese pumpkin available from Park's.