Crinum Lily 'Cecil Houdyshel'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crinum (KRY-num) (Info)
Cultivar: Cecil Houdyshel

Corsicana, Texas

Ennis, Texas

Norfolk, Virginia

On Jan 30, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is a tetraploid Crinum x powelii bred by Cecil Houdyshel. It has a reputation for repeating bloom over a long season and for offsetting rapidly. Sometimes sets seed.

At least some forms of Crinum x powellii have been successfully grown in the ground as far north as Z5b.

On May 4, 2012, RandyRick from Dahlonega, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have several Cecil's growing here in zone 7b. The larger ones have made offset bulbs this year.

Bulbs are available from Lush Life (Jenks Farmer) and from BulbsNMore and others.

I should have some good pictures to post from my gardens this summer. They bloomed for me in 2011, but I only have pictures taken with a cellphone.

Cecil Houdyshel is a species powellii (C. moorei x C. bulbispermum). Has a reputation as a good repeat bloomer.

On Aug 13, 2011, themikesmom wrote:

Very wonderful rare lavender pink historic crinum bulb found at older homes and historic plantations in the Southeastern United States. Very hard to find bulb, as this variety of crinum I understand is not still available in the commercial bulb market. becoming very rare to see except in these rural areas of the South, particularly in North and South Carolina, Louisiana and Texas. My son and me saw some growing here in rural NC on an older gentlemans property in front of his house. he was in his early 90's and these crinum's were over 5ft tall. Very Beautiful almost glowing variety of crinum, and they bloomed for several weeks.