PlantFiles: Fire Fern
Oxalis hedysaroides 'Rubra'

Family: Oxalidaceae
Genus: Oxalis (oks-AL-iss) (Info)
Species: hedysaroides

Thumbnail #6 of Oxalis hedysaroides by riddler

By Myrlyn
Thumbnail #7 of Oxalis hedysaroides by Myrlyn

Negative Myrlyn On May 10, 2013, Myrlyn from Tampa, FL wrote:

Purchased this plant in Oct 2012 and it was lovely. The seller said to keep the soil moist and put it in bright light but not direct sun. He did not tell me that it should be brought in if temps dropped below 60. It thrived until cold weather came. Now it looks terrible and I can't get a handle on how to restore it to good health. It's not dead, but the new growth fades and drops off in about a week. I love this little plant. Any advice would be appreciated

Positive riddler On Dec 27, 2011, riddler from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

One year ago I bought three of these plants from a seller on eBay. I put two in the ground in a shady area of my yard, and the third went into a pot outside, in another shady area.

The plants in the ground did not survive, but the one in the pot hung in there (although it has become a little leggy). A few days ago (Christmas Day, 2011) I noticed it had its first yellow blooms ever. I've posted photos of this Christmas miracle.

I think my plant needs more sun than it has been getting, so I have now moved it inside near a window that gets bright light in the early afternoon.

Update March 2012: I moved the plant outside (east side of house) and it seems to be happier than it was when it was inside. It's getting a little more sun now (dappled) and is blooming a lot.

Positive VirginiaCreeper On Jul 27, 2008, VirginiaCreeper from Philidelphia, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

The deep, maroon-red leaves and brilliant yellow blossoms make this plant a most sought-after species. An evergreen Oxalis that has brightened windowsills and sunrooms for many years with its richness of colour. A native of Colombia, Venezuela, and Ecuador, it thrives in a bright sunny spot and warm temperatures.

Very rare to own a houseplant with all red leaves, most people love it & ask about this plant.

Santa Clara, California