Canebrake Bamboo
Arundinaria gigantea

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Arundinaria (ar-run-din-NAY-ree-a) (Info)
Species: gigantea (jy-GAN-tee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Arundinaria macrosperma

Nashville, Tennessee

Lake Jackson, Texas

Alexandria, Virginia

On Jul 10, 2012, bambusalove from Lincolnia, VA wrote:

I live in northern VA, and I understand that the canebrake grows well here. I'm calling all the local nurseries and searching Craisglist for the canebrake - seems like no one carries it. I am somewhat disappointed at the fact that there is no particular interest in growing native plants and helping the ecosystem regain some balance.
Does somebody know where in the DC metro area I can buy canebrake? I will be very grateful to hear from you.
Thanks!

On Oct 6, 2010, Amoena from Nashville, TN wrote:

This plant is very abundant in my area, forming dense colonies on moist hillsides and creek-banks. It is useful for controlling erosion in these circumstances. It seems to prefer part-shade, not growing well in full-shade or full-sun. Natural growth is fairly restrained, however wild plants transplanted to my garden, (rich soil and regular watering) have grown quite rapidly.

On Dec 27, 2009, redcamaro350ss from Statesville, NC wrote:

This plant is a very valuable species for wildlife. Canebreaks are an important part of the southeast flora. Tolerant of fire and actually requires it (or some form of disturbance) for long term survival. All plants in an area will flower at the same time. Flowering usually only occurs once every 30 or so years. Seeing a canebreak flowering event is much like witnessing the periodical cicada emergence. It isn't possible to see a whole lot of these in one lifetime. Blooms are actually quite attractive considering it is a non-petaloid species. NOT an "invasive" species. But rather it is aggressive. Invasive would imply non-natives. It is possible for this plant to take over large areas.

On Apr 8, 2007, 1cros3nails4gvn from Bluffton, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

this is an invasive native throughout South Carolina and spreads, but slowly. the old canes a wonderful stakes for plants and make good cane poles that my friends and i would cut and go fishing with whan we were little, but it was hard to find ones tall enough to use as good poles if youre much farther north of Columbia, but here in bluffton they easily reach 10 feet. also they make real mean switches for bad children (from experience) because i had a babysitter that made me pick one of these as my own switch and i never messed with that ol lady again

On Nov 30, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Canebrake Bamboo Arundinaria gigantea is native to Texas ans other States.

On Apr 25, 2006, Hikaro_Takayama from Fayetteville, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I found some of this bamboo growing alongside the road outside of Chattanooga, TN, and dug up three small divisions (all of which survived). This plant has weathered its first zone 6 winter, with temps falling to -5 F overnight once with NO damage (all other bamboo I planted last year, even Z 6 hardy ones suffered at least minor leaf damage, and a few were larger, nursery dug divisions), so I'm thinking that what I have might be the famous Macon River Cane variety that can supposedly stand temps to -20 F.... Very unique and easy to grow native plant that I'd reccommend to anyone.

In addendum, there are two subspecies of A. gigantea (both of which I have): A. gigantea gigantea, which grows to heights between 10 and 30 ft and bears its flowers on the regular culms, and A. gi... read more

On Feb 3, 2005, nick89 from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Canebrake Bamboo, also known as Giant Cane, is a very common and conspicous bamboo in the southeast, forming the so-called "canebrakes" in southern woodlands. It is one of the few bamboos native to North America. Like most bamboos, it has a very long flowering cycle.

I have not grown it myself but there are extensive wild stands on my land. It is quite coarse in appearance due to the very conspicous white culms. Canebrake Bamboo is easily propagated from root divisions and can be somewhat invasive. I personally haven't seen any that are taller than 12 feet or so.