PlantFiles: American Bush Violet
Browallia speciosa

Genus: Browallia (bro-WAHL-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: speciosa (spee-see-OH-suh) (Info)

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Blue-Violet

Thumbnail #5 of Browallia speciosa by DaleTheGardener

By gemini_sage
Thumbnail #6 of Browallia speciosa by gemini_sage

Positive coriaceous On Jan 6, 2013, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A fantastic plant, easy and floriferous, not used nearly as often as it deserves. Here it's especially useful for bedding or containers in shade, where blue to violet flowers are uncommon. Sometimes (but all too rarely) available from garden centers in six-packs, but beware of rootbound starts, as I find they're often stunted. Start seed indoors 8-10 weeks before last frost, as they're slow to develop.

Positive hymenocallis On May 9, 2012, hymenocallis from Auburn, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Another common name is amethyst flower and I too love it. It blooms for months without fail and is one of our favorites here in Central Alabama.

Neutral greenthumb99 On Apr 5, 2011, greenthumb99 from Lucketts, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Often designated as an annual, B. speciosa is a tender perennial. Specimens of the 'Heavenly Bells' cultivar brought indoors bloomed continuously all winter while kept at about 58 degrees, providing a wonderful display of color at a dreary time of year. See my second photo at http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/191289 taken in early April.

Positive annlof On May 31, 2010, annlof from Camarillo, CA wrote:

I've read that browallia speciosa is a true perennial, while browallia americana & viscosa are annuals. I live in a frost-free area, but haven't been able to keep these plants going into a second year. However, my plants did bloom continually from late May to October. They performed best in partial to full shade in a spot which was moist and sheltered from strong winds. I've heard that this browallia makes a good houseplant. I spent three months nursing along my seedlings before planting out. (They took 2-3 weeks to germinate and developed slowly.) The annual browallias germinated and grew much more quickly. Stokes Seeds is a good source of seeds.

Positive dirt_digger On Jan 18, 2009, dirt_digger from Longwood, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I love this plant. It has come back every year, but does not oversow. It is blooming right now when so little else is blooming. I have it in a slightly shaded spot with moist soil.

Positive ifonly On Sep 12, 2006, ifonly from Brookfield, CT wrote:

This is a great annual. For years I resisted adding annuals to my perennial beds, but it finally dawned on me that they are great fillers and bridge the times when I have no perennials blooming. I like annuals that are a little less common - no marigolds or impatiens for me - and this one is blooming its heart out at the front of the bed. Pretty blue. I'll plant this again and add a few other kinds next year!

Neutral CaptMicha On Jun 29, 2004, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Plant grew fairly easy and relatively fast from seed. It was said to be a a great houseplant but it never bloomed for me so I put it outside in full sun, the temps are in the high 90s, and it flowered less than a week later. I'm looking forward to more blooms and I'm waiting for my scragly plants to "bush" in these new conditions.

Neutral poppysue On Sep 1, 2001, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Grows 8-12 inches tall with smooth branching stems. The flowers are 2-iches wide and can be blue, violet, purple, or white. Its mounding form makes it an excellent choice for containers.

Auburn, Alabama