PlantFiles: Butterfly Bush, Summer Lilac, Orange-eye Butterfly Bush
Buddleja davidii 'Adonis Blue'

Family: Buddlejaceae
Genus: Buddleja (BUD-lee-uh) (Info)
Species: davidii (duh-VID-ee-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Adonis Blue
Additional cultivar information: (aka Adokeep)

Synonym:Buddleia davidii

Thumbnail #6 of Buddleja davidii by kimmy222

By DaylilySLP
Thumbnail #7 of Buddleja davidii by DaylilySLP

Positive vossner On Jul 12, 2010, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Butterflies are hovering around this plant. Easy to grow. Mine is planted inground, part sun. Smaller shrub, excellent for small garden or for the front border in a larger garden. I have not detected any fragrance. Maybe you have to stick your nose in the plant, which I haven't done.

Having given credit where credit is due, I was disappointed with the color. I was expecting a dark blue per the pic shown by ShrubSource. To me it doesn't look much different than Nanho Blue or Purple Emperor. If you google this plant, you'll see pics that show the bloom as almost indigo.

I am posting here because my plant looks like the plant of all other posters, except ShrubSource, who has that lovely dark, dark blue. Oh Photoshop, photoshop: you guys play w/ my head and my pocketbook.

Positive ShrubSource On Mar 26, 2009, ShrubSource from Zeeland, MI wrote:

Buddleia - English Butterfly Adonis Blue Butterfly Bush
Adonis Blue has deep blue flowers of good size (approx. 10 to 12 inches) with a delightful fragrance. Great flowering shrub for landscapes, the compact size of this cultivar is perfect for smaller gardens and the mixed border. It can also be used as a container plant in milder climates. To encourage re-blooming, remove old spent blooms.

The English Butterfly series are colorful Buddleia varieties that won't crowd their neighbors! These three new cultivars were developed in England, and are just now making their way across the Atlantic. Roughly a third the size of other butterfly bush varieties, these plants are extra bushy and loaded with colorful flowers. They're fragrant, and attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Unlike older varieties, these cultivars will not overwhelm the landscape, and never develop the weedy, unkempt habit so typical of Butterfly Bush. You'll love the way they look in containers and in gardens. Treat them like a perennial in the north; dies back to the ground (roots are hardy).

Positive kimmy222 On Jul 9, 2007, kimmy222 from Reading, PA wrote:

This was a new addition for me at the end of last summer. It is a wonderful bloomer with rich purple spikes. I cut my back to 6-8" after the first signs of growth started and it is doing beautifully. It's a tough plant too. This year I moved it from the back of my house to a container. Then from the container into my new bed in front of the house. I didn't miss a beat. I kept it well watered, and it took off. I'm very pleased with it's compact size. It's about 3 feet tall and 3-4 feet wide. I selected this cultivar after seeing my first hummingbird moth on it at the nursery. I got lucky and last summer I saw a hummingbird moth feeding from it regularly at my home. It's easy to grow, stays in a compact shape, and blooms profusely. Highly recommended!

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 16, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Bushy & compact (to only 4-5') with silver-gray foliage and VERY blue, VERY fragrant flowers,this rep. of the English Butterfly Series offers beauty & fragrance in a container/small-yard size package!S/M PPAF CBRA

Positive Marilynbeth On Nov 20, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Beautiful blue! BF's love it! Great addition to the BF garden!

Port Saint Lucie, Florida