Cocoplum 'Red Tip'

Chrysobalanus icaco

Family: Chrysobalanaceae
Genus: Chrysobalanus (kry-soh-BAL-an-us) (Info)
Species: icaco (eye-KAH-koh) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Tip

By simple layering

By air layering

Boca Raton, Florida

Englewood, Florida

Kissimmee, Florida

Labelle, Florida

Lake Worth, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Sarasota, Florida

Tampa, Florida

Venice, Florida

Summerville, South Carolina

On Aug 6, 2015, pxfragonard from Toronto

I love this plant. Photographed it after a transplant at the SouthWest Florida Medical Center in 2005. Have always wanted to return with a better camera.

I wonder if I can grow this plant indoors from seed and, if so, where I can buy seed and, if I can, can I import it into Canada? I live in Toronto. I grow lots of tropical plants indoors but don't know if it will thrive here. All my tropical plants flower in full sunlight for much of the day.

Please let me know if you can steer me in the right direction.

BTW: I'm planning a trip to Texas and wondered if the plant grows there in the coastal regions.

On Jul 27, 2013, gardenbysarasota from North Sarasota, FL wrote:

It's a great plant. Grows fast and does well here. The only
time it struggles a little bit is if there is an extreme cold
snap in the winter, but it always comes back.

On Nov 10, 2009, heykatydids from Lake Worth, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

this is a lovely low growing hedge type plant in this area - appears not to have any insect problems and requires little watering which is important in so fla

On Nov 23, 2008, kj1 from Cousine Island
Seychelles wrote:

This plant is highly invasive in tropical areas it is not native to. In the Seychelles the cocoplum is one of the number 1 problem plants. It is extremely difficult to eradicate and very little data is available on eradication. If it is not native to your area and you have a tropical climate, be extremely careful as this can get out of control very fast.

On Feb 5, 2005, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is a variety of the Cocoplum (Chrysobalanus icaco), which is native to central and southern Florida. The 'Red Tip' variety, unlike the common all-green variety, has attractive red to scarlet or reddish-brown to pink (only new leaves are pink) leaves. Also, the 'Red Tip' variety is less cold-tolerant than the original, also native, all-green variety of Cocoplum. The 'Red Tip' does best in zones 10a, 10b, and 11, and in the very southern edges of zone 9b, while the all-green Cocoplum thrives in zones 9a through 11. The 'Red Tip' might die occasionally in freezes in zone 9b, unlike the hardier, more northernly all-green Cocoplum. The 'Red Tip' does best in southern Florida, while the original all-green Cocoplum does well like the 'Red Tip' in southern Florida, but unlike the 'Red Tip', ... read more