PlantFiles: Plumeria
Plumeria pudica

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Plumeria (ploo-MEER-ee-a) (Info)
Species: pudica (pud-EE-kuh) (Info)

» View all varieties of Plumeria

Late Fall/Early Winter

Shiny/Glossy-Textured
Veined
Leathery-Textured

Flowers are good for cutting

From hardwood cuttings
Allow cut surface to callous over before planting
From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel
By grafting
By air layering

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed
Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By giancarlo

By RWhiz
Thumbnail #7 of Plumeria pudica by RWhiz

Positive AtEumundi On Jan 14, 2014, AtEumundi from Queensland
Australia wrote:

The pudica has lots of flowers for most months of the year.The flowers are a beautiful bright white. The Plumeria pudica also has beautiful dark green foliage which is more evergreen than other plumeria. People in Australia call them Frangipani Pudica.

It seems like Plumeria stenophylla was the original Everlasting Love but some wholesale nurseries in Australia have started marketing the pudica as the "Everlasting Love" frangipani.

The pudica is a very popular Valetine's Day gift in Australia because they are in full bloom at the time of year so the name is well suited to the plant.

I have about 300 in pots (some 2m tall in 75 litre bags) and plan to make a hedge.

Positive Bahwinkle60 On Jun 5, 2013, Bahwinkle60 from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got my first plumeria at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo circa 1985, strange as that sounds. It took years before I found out what a heavy feeder it was, but I learned and its first blooms were a triumph. I've since purchased other colors at Houston Plumeria Society Show and Sales. My plumerias bloom gloriously for me every summer.
I ran across the exotic Plumeria Pudica at a civic association White Elephant Sale. There was only one and I purchased it. I'd read about it, but had never seen one. It was about 12" tall. It did not bloom the first year, but the second summer, the plant grew tall and the show of flowers was spectacular. My plant is kind of lanky, with any branches starting around the 40" point. The plant is about 5 feet tall. It beautifully handles the intense heat and humidity of Houston all summer. It finally stops blooming mid-autumn. It drops most of its leaves over winter. It is a problem free, rewarding plant to grow. I recommend it.

Positive leonortorres On Aug 6, 2012, leonortorres from Miami, FL wrote:

I'm in love with my 7' tall plumeria pudica, also called Bridal Bouquet here in Miami. I have made a lot of plants for gifts by just sticking a small branch in a pot. I havent seen any seeds. My only complaint is that the flowers and the leaves drop into my other plantings below and on the driveway and it looks messy after a few days when they turn brown.
I can't sweep them up everyday. (I'm 80). It blooms profusely all summer. I water 2 times a week unless it rains. It's in full sun. (Very strong sun here in Miami, Florida). I'm buying one of the pink varieties.
Happy gardening!

Positive nalin1 On Apr 18, 2009, nalin1 from New Delhi
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

Pudica is a striking-looking neatly growing plant and can be trained to enhance its natural 'umbrella top' look. It can be propagated by branch/stem cuttings after first allowing the cutting to develop a callus as for other plumerias. They can be planted fairly close to each other--4-6 feet apart if the plant is trained with a single stem branch vertical. I also made a triangular planting similar to DT's, but about 5 feet apart--looks very nice. Flowers from early summer to around October; flowers have no fragrance.

Positive Dirty_Thumbs On Oct 20, 2008, Dirty_Thumbs from Clearwater, FL wrote:

I had purchased this plant in April 2007 from Home Depot.

It was approximatley 18" tall. 3 Plants in one 1 gal pot. When I planted them, I kept them grouped together, but spaced them 12" apart. To form a triangle.

Today (1 year & 6 months after planting) one of the 3 has grown to 72" tall & the other two are 69" tall. Each one is 32" wide.

I like Plumeria's, but I was drawn to this one for it's White Flowers. There are several other Plumeria's where I live, but I have the only 'pudica' in the neighborhood. I am constantly getting praises on how beautiful it is.

In the winter months, it held up okay. I honestly thought it might have died. But, I know that many plants go into hibernation, so I kept my fingers crossed on this one & sure enough, mid April it started blooming like crazy.

I would like to know how to gather seeds from it. Alot of neighbors have asked me for some seeds.

Grenoble,
Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)
Costa Mesa, California
Spring Valley, California
Big Pine Key, Florida
Boca Raton, Florida
Brooksville, Florida
Clearwater, Florida (2 reports)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)
Hobe Sound, Florida
Lake City, Florida
Largo, Florida
Marathon, Florida
Melbourne, Florida
Miami, Florida (5 reports)
Mulberry, Florida
Nokomis, Florida
Palm Beach, Florida
Palm Coast, Florida
Pompano Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Port Orange, Florida
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Saint James City, Florida
Saint Petersburg, Florida (2 reports)
Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)
Satellite Beach, Florida
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
New Orleans, Louisiana
Lucedale, Mississippi
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Vieques, Puerto Rico (2 reports)
Corpus Christi, Texas