Plumeria
Plumeria pudica

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Plumeria (ploo-MEER-ee-a) (Info)
Species: pudica (pud-EE-kuh) (Info)
» View all varieties of Plumeria

Late Fall/Early Winter

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Veined

Leathery-Textured

Flowers are good for cutting

From hardwood cuttings

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

By grafting

By air layering

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Grenoble,

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Costa Mesa, California

Spring Valley, California

Big Pine Key, Florida

Boca Raton, Florida

Brooksville, Florida

Clearwater, Florida (2 reports)

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)

Hobe Sound, Florida

Lake City, Florida

Largo, Florida

Marathon, Florida

Melbourne, Florida

Miami, Florida (5 reports)

Mulberry, Florida

Nokomis, Florida

Palm Beach, Florida

Palm Coast, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Port Charlotte, Florida

Port Orange, Florida

Port Saint Lucie, Florida

Saint James City, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida (2 reports)

Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)

Satellite Beach, Florida

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

New Orleans, Louisiana

Lucedale, Mississippi

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Vieques, Puerto Rico (2 reports)

Corpus Christi, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas

St John, Virgin Islands

On Jan 14, 2014, AtEumundi from Queensland
Australia wrote:

The pudica has lots of flowers for most months of the year.The flowers are a beautiful bright white. The Plumeria pudica also has beautiful dark green foliage which is more evergreen than other plumeria. People in Australia call them Frangipani Pudica.

It seems like Plumeria stenophylla was the original Everlasting Love but some wholesale nurseries in Australia have started marketing the pudica as the "Everlasting Love" frangipani.

The pudica is a very popular Valetine's Day gift in Australia because they are in full bloom at the time of year so the name is well suited to the plant.

I have about 300 in pots (some 2m tall in 75 litre bags) and plan to make a hedge.

On Jun 5, 2013, Bahwinkle60 from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got my first plumeria at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo circa 1985, strange as that sounds. It took years before I found out what a heavy feeder it was, but I learned and its first blooms were a triumph. I've since purchased other colors at Houston Plumeria Society Show and Sales. My plumerias bloom gloriously for me every summer.
I ran across the exotic Plumeria Pudica at a civic association White Elephant Sale. There was only one and I purchased it. I'd read about it, but had never seen one. It was about 12" tall. It did not bloom the first year, but the second summer, the plant grew tall and the show of flowers was spectacular. My plant is kind of lanky, with any branches starting around the 40" point. The plant is about 5 feet tall. It beautifully handles the... read more

On Aug 6, 2012, leonortorres from Miami, FL wrote:

I'm in love with my 7' tall plumeria pudica, also called Bridal Bouquet here in Miami. I have made a lot of plants for gifts by just sticking a small branch in a pot. I havent seen any seeds. My only complaint is that the flowers and the leaves drop into my other plantings below and on the driveway and it looks messy after a few days when they turn brown.
I can't sweep them up everyday. (I'm 80). It blooms profusely all summer. I water 2 times a week unless it rains. It's in full sun. (Very strong sun here in Miami, Florida). I'm buying one of the pink varieties.
Happy gardening!

On Apr 18, 2009, nalin1 from New Delhi
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

Pudica is a striking-looking neatly growing plant and can be trained to enhance its natural 'umbrella top' look. It can be propagated by branch/stem cuttings after first allowing the cutting to develop a callus as for other plumerias. They can be planted fairly close to each other--4-6 feet apart if the plant is trained with a single stem branch vertical. I also made a triangular planting similar to DT's, but about 5 feet apart--looks very nice. Flowers from early summer to around October; flowers have no fragrance.

On Oct 20, 2008, Dirty_Thumbs from Clearwater, FL wrote:

I had purchased this plant in April 2007 from Home Depot.

It was approximatley 18" tall. 3 Plants in one 1 gal pot. When I planted them, I kept them grouped together, but spaced them 12" apart. To form a triangle.

Today (1 year & 6 months after planting) one of the 3 has grown to 72" tall & the other two are 69" tall. Each one is 32" wide.

I like Plumeria's, but I was drawn to this one for it's White Flowers. There are several other Plumeria's where I live, but I have the only 'pudica' in the neighborhood. I am constantly getting praises on how beautiful it is.

In the winter months, it held up okay. I honestly thought it might have died. But, I know that many plants go into hibernation, so I kept my fingers crossed on this one & s... read more