PlantFiles: Gardenia, Cape Jasmine
Gardenia jasminoides 'Radicans'

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Gardenia (gar-DEEN-ya) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: Radicans
Additional cultivar information: (aka Prostrata)

Synonym:Gardenia angusta
Synonym:Gardenia augusta
Synonym:Gardenia florida
Synonym:Gardenia grandiflora
Synonym:Gardenia radicans

Groundcovers

Leathery-Textured

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By simple layering

Thumbnail #6 of Gardenia jasminoides by vossner

By RosinaBloom
Thumbnail #7 of Gardenia jasminoides by RosinaBloom

Neutral gingern On May 3, 2009, gingern from Irvine, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I am always trying (and failing) to successfully grow gardenias in SoCal's alkaline soil, but I've had moderate success with this. I managed to keep it green and happy for several years in a container before it finally turned yellow, then brown, and croaked. I now grow them as annuals: buy them early Spring when they're covered in buds and toss into the green can in Winter.

Positive rntx22 On Aug 18, 2008, rntx22 from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this baby!! Very fragrant; when it blooms, it really puts on a show! It will be covered with tons of blooms all at once. Has smaller leaves than other gardenias, and grows in shrub form. My mom planted some at our house when I was little and they still perform after 20 years. We have them in the shade on the west side of the house, and they get a short period of filtered afternoon sun.

Positive Chantell On Jun 28, 2008, Chantell from Middle of, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Love this cute little gardenia!!! Will see if she over winters ok here in 7A. Bought one last year but put in a not so ideal location. These are more sensitive to direct sun. This one's planted beneath a dwarf tree and seems to love it!!

Positive BLC63 On Apr 25, 2008, BLC63 from Raleigh, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have two of these that I planted three years ago (in Raleigh NC) in an area of my yard where they receive morning sun and dappled shade through the afternoon. They have more than quadrupled in diameter, and have an incredibly high bud count this year (and last year as well). I give them a good watering with ironite and a good bit of magnesium mid-spring, and other than that provide little maintenance. Last year they bloomed twice--the second time in September. I just bought six more today. Incredibly hearty for a gardenia!

Positive reuter98 On Oct 2, 2007, reuter98 from Livingston, TX wrote:

This beautiful evergreen has survived temperatures from 7 - 105 F in my beds. Droughts and hurricanes have not discouraged it. Does best in full morning sun. A few plants gave me surprise blooms in late Sept. this year. I successfully propogate by layering low-lying branches with soil and mulch, then transplanting the rooted branch. Cuttings may die down, later sprout from the root.

Positive scbs471 On Aug 23, 2006, scbs471 from Jackson, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I was told that this type of gardenia would not winter well in the Aiken Co., SC area by many of the nurseries here - however my two bushes are in their third year and they are doing excellent. The small size of these beautiful bushes are perfect in my west facing border garden. ( I found these bushes at Lowes when I couldn't find at the nurseries I frequent.)

Positive sugarweed On Feb 15, 2006, sugarweed from Jacksonville & Okeechobee, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant sold as Dwarf Gardenia is a great little fragrant find and will surprise you by flowering when you least expect it.

Positive nick89 On Feb 6, 2005, nick89 from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

'Radicans' Gardenia is a dwarf creeeping variety with small leaves and double flowers, which are very fragrant. It is fairly hardy and withstands cold better than most double-flowered selections. Makes an attractive groundcover for a small area.
Also called Creeping Gardenia.

New Market, Alabama
San Anselmo, California
Auburndale, Florida
Cleveland, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (3 reports)
Ocala, Florida
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
Gresham Park, Georgia
Hawkinsville, Georgia
Marietta, Georgia (2 reports)
Midway-hardwick, Georgia