African Evergreen, American Evergreen, Goosefoot Plant, Goosefoot Vine, Arrow Leaf, Arrowhead Vine

Syngonium podophyllum

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Syngonium (sin-GO-nee-um) (Info)
Species: podophyllum (po-do-FIL-um) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Partial to Full Shade

Full Shade

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Boca Raton, Florida

Harlingen, Texas

Jacksonville, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

On Feb 21, 2011, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I never planted it in my flowerbed, it appeared a good many years ago. I grows up a gutter and attaches roots to the gutter and wall that you need a chisel to pry off. The plant itself isn't unattractive but it would take over my flower bed if I didn't rip it up every so often...but it always comes back. Drought tolerant and doesn't freeze...pretty hardy in Central FL.
I just noticed a new patch coming up along a fence line in my backyard in complete shade, so I now have another plant to try to get rid of.

On Sep 11, 2009, cam2 from Houston, TX wrote:

This is a huge pest! It grows up my walls, up my trees and all over my flowerbeds...I can't get rid of it. It spreads by the roots from one side of my house to the other. It comes up litterally everywhere, even in the cracks of the sidewalk. Nice for a basket, but don't EVER let it escape!!!

On Dec 28, 2008, johnpeten from San Andres, Peten
Guatemala wrote:

My photos show this vine growing in it's natural habitat, clinging to a large tree in my garden in Guatemala. It flowers during the Winter Months (Nov to Jan) and the red fruit matures by October.Small animals and birds eat the fruit and distribute the seeds. The seedlings are very easy to spot by their arrow shaped leaves. They can be weeded together with the other hundreds of unwanted plants. They do not take over the woods or cause any problems, they share with other epiphytes. In their natural environment they are not invasive but fit nicely into the landscape.

On Jun 8, 2008, mcdannells from Central Oregon, OR wrote:

A positive only if you need a plant to take over a wall or some other spot.
This plant will take over so you have to be careful of it!!
We have this in are bathroom which we want it to take over are ugly wall which it is doing giving a "jungle" look as the person above stated.
This plant is very easy to take cuttings from and I have already given away (well traded) a 8'-10' cutting. Cuttings can be rooted in plain water, soil or just laying there with misting.
The leaves can reach up to a foot in length.
Bugs thus far in the 10 years or so the mr and/or I have had it is spider mites, which did not stay long.
The mr had this plant before giving it to me and he had it outside where it did not like our climate (hence the spider mites!!). I had a mous... read more

On Jan 22, 2006, amandaemily from Gulf Coast
United States (Zone 9a) wrote:

Have one that is a few years old, stands about 18" wide/24" high.

Good household container plant, just needs some pruning every once in a while to keep it bush-shaped and a reasonable size.

Cuttings root easily in water.

On Sep 9, 2005, Datasmate from Clute, TX wrote:

These are house plants gone wild. It is not very invasive here (south of Houston) in that too many other local/native plants can crowd this one out. In a container, it must be pruned often. Roots easily in just water.

On Feb 22, 2005, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

If this exotic is anywhere around you, you don't have to worry about propagating it. It is extremely invasive; it can turn a Florida yard into a jungle very easily.