Red-leaf Giant Crinum, Poison Bulb, Giant Crinum Lily, Grand Crinum Lily, Spider Lily
Crinum asiaticum var. procerum

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crinum (KRY-num) (Info)
Species: asiaticum var. procerum

Bradenton, Florida

Kissimmee, Florida

Lake Wales, Florida

North Palm Beach, Florida

Orlando, Florida (2 reports)

Pompano Beach, Florida

Port Charlotte, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida (2 reports)

Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)

Satellite Beach, Florida

Sebastian, Florida

Tallahassee, Florida

Titusville, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Winter Haven, Florida

Zephyrhills, Florida

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Coushatta, Louisiana

New Orleans, Louisiana (2 reports)

Opelousas, Louisiana

Trout, Louisiana

Cayce, South Carolina

Sumter, South Carolina

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

Galveston, Texas

Mc Kinney, Texas

Spring, Texas

Willis, Texas

On Mar 26, 2013, harmenve from Anaheim, CA wrote:

I collected ripe seeds (they look like bulbs) from a plant growing at a motel in San Francisco in 1978, and planted them in my garden in Anaheim, California.
It is now huge, (35 years later!) still doing fine, a multi-trunked beauty which flowers regularly.
It is pretty tough, does not get watered often and never fertilized. I am on level ground, old riverbed (deep coarse sand) with about 8" of old topsoil from the days when this was a walnut grove.

On Feb 28, 2010, LeslieT from Bellaire, TX wrote:

One thing I've noticed in Houston, direct sun during the intense heat of summer can burn its leaves so if possible some protection from afternoon sun might be advisable.

This crinum also produces offshoots which I've shared. Give this plant plenty of room, but it's really beautiful with and without its blooms.
Leslie

On Jul 27, 2009, dlsamuels from Spring, TX (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is wonderful! It needs to be about 3-5 years old to start sending out flowers stalks. Each stalk has +/- 16 separate flowers.

I have these in the ground and in pots... the bigger the pot - the bigger the bulb can become - hence a larger specimen.

The plant readily sends out 'pup' plants and can also be propogated by use of the seed pods. Please note though... the 'pup' plants are beautiful purple too. The plants started from seed - at least so far fro me - are not as colorful.

On Jul 6, 2009, jimmy2 from live oak, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have this growing at the back of a fence,semi shade,not really taken off planted last fall,and only few leaves have sprouted,fertlized,compost, must be texas heat 103 temp hopefully grow,in akaline soil ?

On Nov 13, 2008, rplingaltx from Galveston, TX wrote:

An interesting note...I purchased a very young one of these crinums last year. I planted it in the ground where it has done pretty well, but the true test was hurricane Ike. The poor little crinum was totally inundated in 7 feet of SALT WATER and I have to say, it looks better today than it did before the storm. Did not even lose one leaf!

On Nov 3, 2008, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have several of the giant bulbs growing, mostly in container culture so I can protect them from frost. Though, I'm experimenting with one of them planted directly into the garden. Will create some type of tent and leave them outdoor to see if it will withstand our winter. I'll add my zipcode should I have success.

On Apr 9, 2007, sumsmartkramr wrote:

I admired this plant in local parks and older neighborhoods for years, but couldn't find anyone selling them. I finally noticed in the Central Florida area, they actually drop "seeds" approximately late November to December. When you look at the plant you'll notice a "bulb" remains after the flower has dropped. As the spent flower dries, so does the bulb and eventually falls off. If left on the ground, a new plant will grow from it. So if you want your own, pick up the seeds/bulbs and gently push into ground by hand (assuming we're talking about Florida's sandy soil) and just leave them (normally I leave the top of it uncovered as that is how they self seed) . Within a month you will notice growth. It is somewhat cold sensitive, but worth the effort!

On Oct 22, 2006, orcacr29 from Highland Park, FL wrote:

Grows in sandy, well drained soil. Requires regular watering. Grasshoppers eat the leaves to nubbins. Have found sprinkling with Seven dust prevents this.

On Jun 1, 2006, lanceleb from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

While vacationing last August at Disney World in Orlando (the Beach Club) I noticed large numbers of these at every stage of growth. Some were almost 5 1/2' tall.
I asked one of the gardeners if I could try to take a cutting.
Surprisingly he offered to dig some of the smallest ones up for me. I wraped three of them in wet paper towels and placed them in a plastic bag. I transplanted them into potts 2 days later when I got home to Baton Rouge. I lost 2 of them but one survived. I have since moved it to a perminate spot in my landscape where it is starting to thrive 10 months after having brought it home. And is putting off new sprouts around the base. No blooms yet, but hoping for some soon.

On Apr 29, 2006, ceejaytown from The Woodlands, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

My crinum is several years old, and is planted near the house, on the west side. It blooms off and on, spring to fall. Freezing temperatures will damage the exposed leaves, which will need to be cut off when danger of frost is past. As large as this plant is, it is hardly noticed. Makes a great architectural plant.

On Apr 23, 2006, RonniePitman wrote:

This plant can be striking, but if it doesn't receive proper care, it can also look miserable. Other than temperature, the main consideration is that it must be protected from wind. Too much wind can break off all the leaves, giving an awful-looking stub of a plant while it grows new ones. A lesser wind can "bend" a leaf downward towards its tip, without actually severing it; still, the leaf may eventually have to be cut off at the bend.
Leaves emerge reddish-purple and turn green as they age.
I've uploaded a photo of this plant, set out in the open while having its picture taken, but afterward returned to its place against the house.