Mexican Coriander, Culantro, Spiritweed, Ngo gai, Long Coriander, Fitweed
Eryngium foetidum

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Eryngium (er-RIN-jee-um) (Info)
Species: foetidum (FET-uh-dum) (Info)

Herbs

Silver/Gray

Blue-Green

Medium Blue

Veined

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

El Mirage, Arizona

Ponce, Puerto Rico

San Juan, Puerto Rico

negative

On Jan 6, 2013, noramontie from Port St. Lucie, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I love this plant. I used to grow cilantro but it bolts so fast. This plant will stick around if you remove flower buds. I trim the serrated edges off the leaves and use them to make anything you want cilantro in. The aroma and flavor is outstanding. A little goes a long way. I have mine in my raised bed veggie gardens under the shade of tomato or zucchini plants and it does just fine. It gets watered about every other day. Pinder's nursery in Palm City, FLorida sells it.

On Jun 17, 2012, williamca from Plant City, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Our plants came from the local supermarket and although the bloom spike may get to 12" the plant is rather flat and about 8" tall. We always use it to replace cilantro in recipes as the flavor and pungency is much greater. It grows well in strong light rather than full sun. It does well in pots which is how we grow herbs except oregano and rosemary. We rate Culantro in the top four fresh herbs we use.

On Apr 13, 2012, BarbaraParis from Comerio, PR (Zone 11) wrote:

I hate hate this plant... it is invasive here. You could plant one plant and months later there are hundreds of culantros everywhere. It is very hard to eradicate. The roots are like carrots and a tiny piece of root is enough to make another plant grow... The flowers are very sharp and the leaves have pointy edges that can be sharp too.

I wold like it if it wasn't so invasive and sharp. I think that thing would grow even in herbicide LOL.

On May 4, 2006, Dorne from Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic wrote:

I live in the Caribbean, Dominican Republic. I have known strange reactions to cultivating this plant. When grown at the side of a gravel path the seeds fell into the gravel during the summer which is very hot and dry here. The plants grew well in the gravel path but not well in the earth. The possiton of the plants were such that they got the sun up unitl around 2pm and then were in shadow from the building. The dropped seeds grew prolifically in the gravel when the rains became more often the following 'spring'. A plant put in a freinds garden survived well during the rains and seeded but the seeds did not grow at all as the garden was allowed to dry out at times. As the seeds had grown prolifically in the gravel indications are definately that the roots should never get dry at all. It d... read more

On Oct 21, 2005, Hogwaump from Rosedale, WV (Zone 7b) wrote:

Haven't tried it yet, but is supposed to work as an annual herb in the north. It tastes like regular Coriander/Cilantro, but more pungent.