PlantFiles: Sulee Rainbow
Curcuma

Family: Zingiberaceae
Genus: Curcuma (KER-koo-muh) (Info)

Rose/Mauve
Magenta (Pink-Purple)
Gold (Yellow-Orange)
Pale Yellow
Light Blue

Veined
Good Fall Color

Flowers are good for cutting

By agedog1
Thumbnail #1 of Curcuma  by agedog1

By agedog1
Thumbnail #2 of Curcuma  by agedog1

Positive agedog1 On Feb 14, 2005, agedog1 from Vero Beach, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is one absolutely beautiful have to have!. The Sulee Rainbow is a hybrid and I got it accidently. It was not suppose to be delivered to Lowe's so I literally bargained with the vendor and he let me have two. Since that time I have only found 2 vendors who have them one in Louisana, and one in Hawaii. The Bracts on this plant are literally a rainbow of colors. Mine are dormant right now 2/14/05. But as soon as they come up and begin to flower I will photograph and upload. Should begin growth again in late May here in Florida and blooms should begin in June - continued blooming till October.

This hybrid is a cross between Curcuma cordata and an unidentified species from southern thailand that somewhat resembles the Curcuma Aurantiaca. This unidentified species is vary variable in the wild, often with bicolor inflorscence. The parent of the 'Sulee Rainbow' is orange and pink. The cross was made by genger breeder Annop Ongsakul and was first released in 2003.

It is August 3,2005 and I have finally uploaded images of my Sulee's to Daves Garden. The second image of the Mature Sulee isn't very good (sorry) it doesn't give you the color of the bottom of the Florscence. However the picture of the your Florscence of the Sulee give you and idea - they are truly like rainbows.

I now have over 30 Sulee's producing and have 4 flower shops chomping at the bit, as once cut the florscence's last more than 4 WEEKS!

I am one proud "Sulee Rainbow Mom"

Vero Beach, Florida