PlantFiles: Watermelon
Citrullus lanatus 'Klondike Striped Blue Ribbon'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Citrullus (SIT-ruh-lus) (Info)
Species: lanatus (la-NA-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Klondike Striped Blue Ribbon
Hybridized by Porter; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1939

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Vegetables

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

81 to 90 days

Thumbnail #1 of Citrullus lanatus by Farmerdill

Thumbnail #2 of Citrullus lanatus by Farmerdill

Thumbnail #3 of Citrullus lanatus by Farmerdill

Positive JAnnetteW On Apr 15, 2010, JAnnetteW from Philadelphia, MS wrote:

I just started growing Klondike Blue Ribbon watermelons along with several other varieties to see what will sell at a roadside market in Mississippi. They have popped out of the ground and look good so far. I am trying to remember how many seeds that I planted, but it looks like all or most of them have germinated, and I cannot say that about any of the other varieties that I planted this year--not even Orangeglo. I am not new to gardening, but I am relatively new to growing watermelons. It is on land that I inherited, and my mother says that my father never had any luck with watermelons. I studied the problem and think I know why he did not succeed with watermelons. He would not use organic feritilizers or address his Blossom End Rot problem although I told him what to do. I am praying for these and praying that God will be merciful in all of my mistakes.God is on my side; they look good!

Neutral Indy On Sep 16, 2005, Indy from Alexandria, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is a good producer. It may have some tendency to hollow heart. It is very sweet and juicy.

Positive Farmerdill On Feb 12, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

An 85 day light green dark green striped melon weighing 25 -30 lbs.

Thousand Oaks, California