Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Speckled Roman'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Speckled Roman
Additional cultivar information:(aka Striped Roman)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Elba, New York

Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania

Warren, Pennsylvania

On Jun 4, 2014, angelicjinks from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

My favorite tomato for guacamole! Grows great in Minneapolis MN.

On Sep 8, 2013, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

A very pretty tomato with a lot of 'meat', less juicy and very tasty. This tomato cropped very well for me. Three to five tomatoes a bunch, 100 to 150 grams each. I've grown these the first time. We've had a wonderful summer this year with a lot of sunshine and less rain. So all my tomatos did very well. I will try to grow it again next year.

On Sep 6, 2013, cephalo from Huntsdale, MO wrote:

I grew about 10 of these plants this year. The appearance of this tomato is spectacular indeed, but in my opinion, the taste was not much different than a store bought roma tomato. If you are making tomato sauce, where appearance doesn't matter, there are much better tasting varieties like Black Prince.

On Aug 31, 2013, PerennialConnection from Albion, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

Started from purchased seeds. I have this growing in 3 different situations. I am pleased overall with the plant and the fruit. Though as others have noted, I have problems with Blossom End rot....but only in one location.

-- Large fruits average 6" long in all of my growing situations.
-- Flesh is "dry" insofar as it does not seem to have the water content of other tomatoes. Seed cavity is small and flesh is very thick.
-- Dark red fleshy interior. Stunning yellow/red mottled exterior.
-- Flavor is balanced well between classic tomatoey and rich, dusky, light sweet.

1) Planted in ground June 1. Sandy loam. Supported by tomato cage. Plant is spindly, sunburned and not very attractive. Fruit set is moderate to heavy. Fruits become sunburne... read more

On Aug 4, 2013, CaliforniaGuy from Lakewood, CA wrote:

Tastes good, ok production, some blossom end rot but not too much.

On Sep 14, 2011, learnandgrow12 from Aurora, CO wrote:

I tried this along with 10 other heirloom tomatoes, all started from seed. Latest to develop. I had problems with blossom end rot with this tomato only. You must make sure this plant NEVER gets dry and has a supply of calcium. Very spindly growth habit and must have support of some kind. Not very attractive foliage for a tomato. The fruit was meaty, thick skinned, and tasty. It was susceptible to powdery mildew in my garden while other heirlooms were fine and I had to cut it down before it gave me any more than 6 tomatoes. This coupled with the blossom end rot, I will opt for other varieties next year. The fruit is beautiful and unique so I can see it's appeal but it did not thrive in my area.

On Aug 26, 2010, mikes_orchids from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

Speckled Roman is an excellent heirloom variety of tomato. It has beautiful fruit, and produces a lot of sauce for the number of tomatoes needed. I have had problems compared to my other tomatoes with this variety having blossom end rot. Even when my other tomatoes are fine, this one will usually have a number of fruit that turn black at the end and rot on the vine.
Otherwise the fruit is beautiful and they taste great.

On Aug 4, 2009, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

I was expecting Speckled Roman to be a typical bland tasting paste tomato but was pleasantly surprised. It is both pretty (with the wavy stripes) and flavorful. It is perfectly fine for fresh eating in addtion to canning/sauce. The plant is compact, didn't have problems with disease, and is moderately productive.

On Jun 17, 2008, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I was impressed by this paste tomato. The color is what first "wows" you. It is a nice deep red with orange stripes. Good size for a paste tomato with lots of meat. Great flavor with good disease resistance for the plant. One that I will continue to grow every year.

On Aug 15, 2007, BDale60 from Warren, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a very attractive tomato, with the gold speckling adorning the orange-red body. I generally agree with the conventional wisdom that paste tomatoes do not have flavor comparable to good heirloom slicing tomatoes, and I'd put "Speckled Roman" in the "good but not great" category for taste when eaten fresh. It does share the trait with other paste/Roma tomatoes that has made them popular: ease of processing when making sauce due to the shape, lack of core, etc. I enjoy cooking with them. I've not grown many Romas, so I don't have much to compare with in terms of productivity. The plants have already produced a decent number of healthy, meaty tomatoes and many more appear to be on the way. They sure look great sitting on the counter (but they don't stay there long when the sauce pan be... read more

On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Meaty with that great tomato taste and is ideal for processing. It is very productive and has few seeds. It still throws an occasional yellow fruit.

On Sep 12, 2006, MikeyJoe from Clarksville, IN wrote:

A beautiful Tomato that has a great taste. I only had one plant this year and it was not quite as prolific as I thought it should be. Next year I plan to have five or six, and I plan to put them in a better spot.
Definetly worth a second try.

On Aug 8, 2006, wadefromnj from Englishtown, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is a great tasting salad tomato. As compared to a roma it has more taste. I will grow it again next year. However one plant died completely before any other even showed signs of V or F wilt (I grow about 20 total). Though the other one (I planted 2) seems normal.

On Feb 5, 2006, MichaelBates from Lawrence, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

A large meaty paste type that is packed with flavor. The red and yellow/orange stripes (think flames on a 50's muscle car) are a real stand out at market. This has become our favorite for canning!

On Aug 13, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Said to be a cross between Antique Roman and Banana Legs by John Swenson. It is a 4-5 ounce carrot shaped groing about 5 inches long.

On Feb 13, 2005, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

".....cross between Banana Legs and Antique Roman. Red with bright gold striping."