PlantFiles: Shrub Rose
Rosa 'Martine Guillot'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Martine Guillot
Additional cultivar information: (aka MASmabay)
Hybridized by Massad; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1991

Class:
Shrub

White (w)
Apricot and apricot blend (ab)

Bloom Shape:

Patented

Other Details:
Susceptible to black spot

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings
By grafting
By budding

By dakotaroser
Thumbnail #1 of Rosa  by dakotaroser

Positive dtfink14 On Jun 12, 2012, dtfink14 from South Kingstown, RI wrote:

This rose is one of the most beautiful and fragrant in my garden - wish it were closer to my porch! It grows very large and can sprawl, so I have mine trained on a tall tuteur almost as a climber. I prune it back to about half each year and still it takes off rapidly to regain its size. I may experiment with harder pruning. Planted 9 years ago when we first built the house , it is one of the first original roses to continue to thrive, and seems bothered less by the Japanese beetles which plague my garden than others. Mine gets partial late afternoon shade. This is a keeper.

Positive gardeninthesun On Jul 6, 2011, gardeninthesun from Lake City, FL wrote:

I have had this rose growing in my garden for about 5 years. It has beautiful dark green lustrous foliage and the cream flowers tinged with apricot are beautiful. Even in the humidity and heat of Florida I have never had a problem with black spot. There may occasionally be a few leaves that are affected but so few that spraying has not been necessary. I have never once sprayed this rose. As it is planted on the back of our property it tends to be somewhat neglected but blooms and thrives anyway. It is also growing in partial shade. I would not consider this a shrub rose as the canes are long and arching. One of my favorite roses.

Positive clanross On Apr 30, 2009, clanross from Poplarville, MS (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have 5 Martine Guillot roses, and they are NOT susceptible to Black Spot in my garden. Hardly ever see it on them. They are large, healthy, tons of flowers, scented, and one of my favorites. We are in South Mississippi and they do not have disease problems. I rarely spray, and then only with NEEM. Only problem I have had is that they are very thorny and must be pruned hard in Jan/Feb here to have a nice shape. Even then they can get leggy by Aug/Sept if I do not trim them again. I grew 2 other Generosa roses, but MG is, by far, my favorite.

Positive wendymadre On Jun 8, 2008, wendymadre from Petersburg, VA wrote:

Martine Guillot is from the Guillot breeders in France, the same who bred the La France in the 19th Century, the first acknowledged hybrid tea. Martine is named after the breeder's wife. It is a fragrant, vigorous and healthy shrub rose, with pale blush roses. I think in a cooler climate, they would be more colorful. It has reached a height of about five feet, with a spread of about six feet.

Lake City, Florida