PlantFiles: Globe Amaranth, Gomphrena
Gomphrena globosa 'Little Purple Buddy'

Family: Amaranthaceae
Genus: Gomphrena (gom-FREE-nuh) (Info)
Species: globosa (glo-BOH-suh) (Info)
Cultivar: Little Purple Buddy

Thumbnail #2 of Gomphrena globosa by Bazuhi

Thumbnail #3 of Gomphrena globosa by Bazuhi

By Cville_Gardener
Thumbnail #4 of Gomphrena globosa by Cville_Gardener

Positive sijanise On Apr 16, 2014, sijanise from Garden Oaks, Houston, TX wrote:

I have ground these for years and years. My granny always called them Bachelor Buttons but I know this is not what they are...Bachelors Buttons look different. Ive always had these self seed and always come back. I always let the "flowers" dry and turn brown on the stems and pinch them off for storage in case they happen not to come back the next year. The are so bright in the hot Houston heat and do so well sometimes when other plants are struggling. These are the brightest happy flowers!!!!

Positive Bazuhi On Aug 26, 2012, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Spring of 2011
Got this plant from someone closing down a nursery in spring of 2011 and I have never heard of it before then.
I loved it, it bloomed all summer long!!
********
May 2012 - not sold at box store nurseries like Home Depot.. but found a place that does in my area..The Sunrise Greenhouse in Grant Park, Illinois I added it to my new flower bed mixed with orange marigolds and love it.. I will certianly will be adding it every year!

Positive Terry On Sep 15, 2006, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I had great luck with this variety several years ago - it filled out an area nicely and stayed looking good all season long, even without much TLC or deadheading from me.

Negative petfriendly On Jun 23, 2006, petfriendly from Colorado Springs, CO wrote:

Well, I purchased this plant at King Soopers, it was located next to the produce area. It did not have a plastic stick with info on it but it is pretty.

For pet owners my cat apparantly loved the leaves ate them and threw up all over the house. About 10 times.
BEWARE!!!